Ridgid 13" planer. Disappointed

Review by Mark posted 12-09-2018 05:57 AM 2426 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 13" planer. Disappointed No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m not going to lie, at first i was very impressd with this planer. But I have come across a serious problem for the second time now with the same one. Not sure if it was just a lemon but its a real disappointment and frustration when you run a nice piece through and on one edge its lets say 3/4” and its tapered down to almost 5/8” on the other. The blade over time keeps slipping on a slight angle when it should be even all the way through. Adjusting it shouldnt be an option. I originally loved it. Great price. New blades were cheap and the warranty is good. Smooth cuts. Just that one issue really turned me off. Not fun when it ruins a great piece. So i put the money into the dewalt 735 and so far i love it. Worth the money. Sometimes it may seem rediculously expensive but worth it in the end if its dependable.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#1 posted 12-09-2018 11:16 AM

most planers can be adjusted to make the blades even horizontally. Do you have the manual? Did you ask rigid how to fix this? not an uncommon issue with planers or even drum sanders.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#2 posted 12-09-2018 11:22 AM

Had this planer for many years…never had a problem.
Sounds like a lemon.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#3 posted 12-09-2018 12:50 PM

Good choice of a replacement. Just finished installing the Shelix in mine after 7 years.

View MikeDilday's profile

MikeDilday

#4 posted 12-09-2018 01:22 PM

Sounds like a loose blade to me.

-- Michael Dilday, Suffolk, Va.

View mdhills's profile

mdhills

#5 posted 12-09-2018 04:06 PM

The blades are indexed and should be held in place pretty well with respect to the head.
I’m curious if you ever flipped or replaced your blades?

Glad the new planer is working well!

Matt

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

#6 posted 12-09-2018 06:14 PM

Interesting. I’m sure you’ll find the Dewalt to be a better planer, most people think it’s the best of the portable planers.
I have the Ridgid and find it works well. I wonder whether the threaded rod posts are out of sync and just need adjusting (if that’s even possible).

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

#7 posted 12-10-2018 12:46 AM

Mark, the poor reviews are just as important as the good ones. Well done.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Redoak49's profile (online now)

Redoak49

#8 posted 12-10-2018 01:36 PM

Sorry you had the issues. A bad review which is just a rant is useless. But one that states the facts is. valuable

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#9 posted 12-10-2018 05:08 PM

Thanks for your review. I found it fair, honest and clear. I appreciate you spending the time to share.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View WoodenDreams's profile

WoodenDreams

#10 posted 12-10-2018 09:58 PM

After you plane one side, you could turn the board around, and make another pass. Check your manual, there should be a adjustment for this. My Delta also has a slight difference (about 1/64”) from one edge to the other, I don’t worry about adjusting it out, since it’s all leveled out after the glue-ups from sanding.

View theart's profile

theart

#11 posted 12-10-2018 11:40 PM

That’s a huge amount of runnout. Did something get wedged under the bed?

#12 posted 12-11-2018 08:14 AM

I think she was just a lemon . I have my shop in alberta as well as back in ontario and i have a ridgid planer in both, i just never had an issue with the planer in ontario. I know how to adjust it, i just hate having to find out the hard way on a nice piece of wood. Ive never had this problem with my old delta. I figured itd be smart to just give the dewalt a try since it has such great reviews. Im going to fix the ridgud qnd hand it off to my buddy anyways. Thanks for your suggestions everyone :)

-- M.K.

View graynet's profile (online now)

graynet

#13 posted 12-11-2018 09:27 PM

I have this same planer and I think i’m having a similar issue. There is a pretty significant difference between the left and right side thicknesses. I’ve looked around and can’t seem to find a procedure to correct this. in order temporarily correct this, I’ve run a sheet of MDF that was the full width of the planer through and then use that as a base in order to get a parallel reference. This worked for a while, but it seems the planer is continue to slip as I’m still having thickness variations across the the width. I’m about at the same point where I’m going to replace this with a 735. Other than this issue it has been a good and reliable tool. I’ve been through several sets of blades, and even pulled the cover off trying to find an adjustment, but no luck.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#14 posted 12-12-2018 04:26 PM

I agree that it sounds like a loose blade.

But as a design engineer myself, the first person I always fault is…. the design engineer.

The user should not have to reaf down so hard on the chip breaker bolts that they strip, just to get the blade to stop slipping, and little details like deburring the chip breaker threaded holes (should be called out by the designer in the print), or using something other than pot metal for the bolts can make the difference between a product being your all time fav…. or as in this case, a disapointment that tarnishes the entire brand.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#15 posted 12-12-2018 11:37 PM

Hey Matt, did you ever use the setting on it so it stops at a specific thickness?