Wixey WR25 digital height gauge review

Review by shawnn posted 11-14-2018 02:39 PM 1448 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wixey WR25 digital height gauge review Wixey WR25 digital height gauge review No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this several years ago and thought I’d write a review. It works great, I use it on every cut on my router table to set bit height and occasionally to set offset from the fence. I also use it on the table saw to set dado or groove heights of the blade. It has magnets in the feet to hold it in place. It reads fractions when within .002” of a particular fraction while in decimal mode, and can be set for fractions of an inch and mm. It can be zeroed for incremental adjustments, such as when tweaking dovetail bit heights for good fit. Batteries last a long time as well. Highly recommended.

I found it for only $15 here: https://www.tigersupplies.com/Products/Wixey-WR25-Mini-Digital-Height-Gauge-with-Fractions__WIXWR25.aspx?invsrc=adwords_ts&gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOc9f9dLgW-t2Ro74rN9qKVSQU1O1OErgL8LlJyBM2FiN-WgKBkxqBwBoCpd0QAvD_BwE Not sure how much shipping costs but this is a good price.

View Rich's profile

Rich

#1 posted 11-14-2018 05:46 PM

That’s a great price. My only complaint about the gauge is its light weight. The magnets help a little, but many surfaces I use it on are non-magnetic and it’s a pain to try to hold the unit flush while making an adjustment. To add weight to it I ordered some lead weights with a self-adhesive backing. By stacking them on the feet I managed to make it heavy enough to not lift.

-- My grandfather always said that when one door closes, another one opens. He was a wonderful man, but a lousy cabinet maker

#2 posted 11-14-2018 05:50 PM

I agree that it’s too light. I usually hold it down while, or push it down after, making a height adjustment. Good idea on adding weight.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#3 posted 11-15-2018 04:36 PM

“Lifting” is a common problem with that type of instrument. My Starrett depth gauge has the same problem. Certainly the magnets help a lot, but what do you do on non magnetic surfaces? There needs to be a better way to take depth measurements.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#4 posted 11-18-2018 12:32 PM

I have one but struggle keeping the feet down and perpendicular.

#5 posted 11-19-2018 02:26 PM

I just hold it down while making adjustments.

View HokieKen's profile

HokieKen

#6 posted 11-21-2018 09:14 PM

I have one too. For the weight, use a couple of steel parallels when you aren’t on a magnetic surface. The parallels are a known and consistent thickness so it’s easy to account for them. I use mine often when putting a blade in a handplane to get a consistent projection all the way across. Works great and cuts way down on fettling time.

I do wish the resolution was a little better than .002” for setting plane irons. When you only want .004” projection, rounding off to the closest .002” can make a big difference. But for most things woodworking, .002” is very adequate.

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

View NeophyteGrant's profile

NeophyteGrant

#7 posted 11-27-2018 10:32 PM

Hokie Ken—this for plane irons: https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-35-0908-Adjustment-Precision-Woodworking/dp/B00Q0JOZEW

I have very mixed feelings about that but it does .0005 resolution if I remember correctly (while since I used it—just because I haven’t been using planes much of late. On one hand the thing is a godsend if you don’t have set screws to adjust out the skew of your Bevel Up planes. Sure, that can be done manually, and instinctively, by those better than I, but I don’t like doing practice cuts and such. On the other hand it seems to lose zero or skip a bit. It can help you get whispy curls but sometimes it confuses .0005 and .001 or .001 and .0015, or seems to jump between if you lift it off the plane sole and put it back.

Also, per the OPs review: I have one and like it. Agreed on some of the drawbacks. Not mentioned: it can be a depth gauge with the attachment that comes with it too.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#8 posted 01-08-2019 11:36 PM

agree with all said,just got one and love it.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View Mojo1's profile

Mojo1

#9 posted 01-28-2019 12:44 PM

I have one and will not zero so I have to do math,