Very satisfied with this saw and it's features

Review by stefang posted 11-10-2018 09:54 PM 2013 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very satisfied with this saw and it's features No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As we all know there are many good miter saws on the market and many models from any one manufacturer. I haven’t used or tested all or any of them, so I can only tell you my experience with this one and the one that it replaced.

My last miter saw was a Bosch sliding miter saw with a 12” cut width and with a battery powered laser cut line and work light. I liked this saw, but it had one major weakness, which is that it required a very deep cabinet (or stand if you prefer). My shop is very narrow and I had the saw mounted on a sliding table built into the counter top so that I could pull it out to use it. That worked ok, but since it put the saw table beyond the counter top it left no support for the workpiece. This was due to the sliding bars which need a lot of space from the wall while cutting. I also often forgot to turn off the laser light and the batteries died quickly. Here is a bad photo of the arrangement.

I saw an ad for this Dewalt SLM that was also had a 12” cut length, but didn’t have slide bars at the rear. Instead the motor with handle attached moves on a slide mounted to the right hand side of the saw instead of at the rear as on conventional saws. This means it is not necessary to pull the sliding table mount out to the point where I no longer have support for the workpiece.

Main Features
+ I love the mains powered LED combination work light and cut line shadow. The cut line shadow is an alternative to a battery powered laser cut line. It is very accurate easy to see and no batteries!

+ The saw only tilts to the right which works for me.

+ The dust port is on the back and there is a trough leading from the blade right up to it. I connected my shop vac to it and it catches the dust so well that I removed the dust hood that I used with my prior miter saw.

+ The angle indents are pretty standard. I am very happy with the accuracy. Here is a photo of a feature ring cut for a 12 segment ring right off the saw without fine tuning the indents.

Even though I’ve only had this saw for about 3 months I already know it’s a keeper. If you want simplicity and accuracy in a no nonsense package this might work for you too. That said, if you want a Dewalt it would probably be wise to have a look at their different models that fall within your desired price range.

#1 posted 11-10-2018 10:41 PM

Good purchase

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#2 posted 11-11-2018 02:11 PM

I couldn’t find this saw being sold in the USA- it appears to be a European product.
Interesting product…

-- Desert_Woodworker

View doubleDD's profile (online now)

doubleDD

#3 posted 11-11-2018 02:15 PM

Good luck with the saw Mike. I almost pulled the trigger on the Dewalt myself. Nice to have that kind of accuracy.
Before I made the miter jig for the wedgies I tried to cut the segments on my miter saw and was surprised to see how accurate they came out. Just a bit scary as the pieces got smaller. LOL.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#4 posted 11-11-2018 03:03 PM

I don’t use a miter saw in Anchorage at all, depending on my table saw and super sled. I can use my radial arm saw as well, but tend to use jigs if I use that. I like to keep that saw at 90 degrees as it is the crosscut work horse in the shop.

In La Conner I have a Festool Kapex that does not require much space to slide, and seems similar to the DeWalt. But again, I tend to use a sled for a lot of miter work in La Conner as well.

DeWalt tends to be a good quality manufacturer with a reasonable price point, here in the states.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Schwieb's profile

Schwieb

#5 posted 11-11-2018 07:40 PM

I know what you are talking about this the amount of room some saws take up. I have a Milwaukee saw that size and it takes up a lot of room behind the saw. I’ll have to check this one out. Might be time for a for sale sight on the Milwaukee.

-- Dr. Ken, Florida - Durch harte arbeit werden Träume wahr.

#6 posted 11-12-2018 11:59 AM

Desert_Woodworker That is possible or maybe it is a new model not yet marketed in the US.

Dave A simple handheld hold-down shown below works real well for small parts. The hold-down is not attached to the stop block.

Jim Festool is the best, it sounds like you are all set.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View doubleDD's profile (online now)

doubleDD

#7 posted 11-12-2018 01:36 PM

That’s a ingenious idea Mike. Why didn’t I ever think of using a hold down for the miter saw. You just gave me another project to do.

#8 posted 11-12-2018 02:06 PM

Not my idea Dave. I got this from a book about segmented turning from Malcolm Tibbetts. I have used one myself though and it works surprisingly well.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#9 posted 11-12-2018 02:39 PM

My sleds have T-track in them that allows me to do hands free fixation of small parts.

The Kapex has a pretty decent hold down system designed into it.

For the radial arm saw, I have a couple of narrow pieces of plywood, one larger than the other, with a notch cut out of the underside at the end, and a soft rubber adhesive pad affixed there to prevent slippage. With those I can hold small parts at a distance as well.

Helps keep the fingers attached where they belong… (-:

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#10 posted 11-14-2018 12:27 PM

Nice review, Mike. I like their saws too.

Cheers, Jim

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

#11 posted 11-22-2018 12:49 AM

Jim Festool is the best, it sounds like you are all set.

- stefang

Mike not to take away from your post but here is one made by Fast Cap that I have and they work great. Store bought or shop made they are great finger savers.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#12 posted 11-24-2018 08:29 PM

Looks like a great purchase Mike.
The slide bars at the rear of the saw are a distinct disadvantage on the saws, particularly when you try to set them up and also store them.
I looked around for a saw with a smaller footprint and found a quad slider one that had an upper and lower slide mech. It was a Makita LS 12xx series but was well over AUD $1000. Way beyond my budget.

My son has a Makita which value for money and features is hard to beat its a LS 1018L tilts both ways and cuts up to 60 deg, something I would consider as a replacement if mine snuffs it before me!...a doubtfull purchase at my age!

I have a common old Ozito CMS 1810 which I use doing the potato crate repairs and give it a real workout every 3 momths it works fine and at a mere AUD $100 hard to justify replacing with something 10x the price.

I think holding small parts is a limitation on them all, how I overcame it was to make a ZC table and fitted a Good hand clamp.

-- Regards Rob

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#13 posted 11-25-2018 03:11 AM

Just in case you wondered what I was blabbering about, here is a picture of it dismantled.

Sorry about that sometimes I just open my mouth just to change feet!

-- Regards Rob