Mobile Base with a lot going for it ...

Review by mel52 posted 08-12-2018 04:53 AM 2140 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Mobile Base with a lot going for it ... Mobile Base with a lot going for it ... Mobile Base with a lot going for it ... Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have almost all tools in my shop on a mobile base of some sort. I have the Rockler step-on caster set and extra brackets to transfer the casters to other set-ups, home made ones with locking wheels, etc. I was having problems with my hip and couldn’t lean over to move the casters back and forth, and the bases with locking wheels wobbled just a little, and were hard to set. I checked HF and there’s were used by turning knobs ( on the floor ) to raise and lower the tool. While at Menard’s checked theirs and they looked on the box to be pretty solid and were just a little more than HF. I bought one to put under a 10 Inch band saw, base, and stuff on the base. It was a little difficult to put together with the crappy instructions, picture on the box helped a lot. When completed it was very solid and weighs around 16 lbs. The wheels are 4 inch, hard plastic style with the two on the back non-rotating with pinned axels. Two on the front are ball bearing rotating style. The cam style lever to raise and lower is very solid and spring loaded so when released is very easy. The cams make it very easy to set solid also. It can be set by easily using toes to flip one way and just tap under it with your toe to release. This is a very easy to move base just using one hand. To lock the base solid, all I did was adjust the rubber coated foot to level with the wheels hitting the floor and raised it one full turn. This raises the wheels very little and is very solid. Two months later, last week, found I will be getting a hip replacement in Sep. and decided to get two more for this rest of my solid bases. Was a lot easier to put together, maybe 30/40 minutes, where the first took over an hour. These bases are set in one inch increments to allow you to use it from 12” X 12” clear up to 33” X 33” and anywhere in between. This will raise your tool around two inches, so I cut the base legs to the height I liked.

-- MEL, Kansas

View mel52's profile

mel52

1 comment so far

View diverlloyd's profile

diverlloyd

#1 posted 08-13-2018 12:36 PM

Great review. Good luck on the surgery and a quick recovery.