Rohm 871053 Type 136 Supra 13 Keyless Drill Chuck

Review by PPK posted 06-11-2018 06:28 PM 3705 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rohm 871053 Type 136 Supra 13 Keyless Drill Chuck No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a WEN drill press, that came with a Chinese no-brand chuck. The chuck was wobbling and I had enough run-out that it would shake the whole work piece and vibrate like nobody’s business. I knew this could be a possibility with the DP I bought, but that’s another topic; I’m reviewing the chuck not the DP. (I really like the DP now that I have a good chuck, in case you were wondering)

This chuck is about 1/2” capacity (It’s Geman, so it’s all Metric). It’s keyless, and is machined superbly.
I’ve run large 2” forstner bits at low speeds (lots of torque) and had no slippage on the bits, even though it was just hand-tightened. The jaws on the chuck are different from what you’d see in a Standard Jacobs chuck. Wish I could describe it better, but they seem to move much smoother and grip much better. German engineering at its finest, I guess!

I have not been able to see or feel any run-out now. I don’t have a good way to measure, but it tell you what, it drills really nice clean holes!

Fitting the chuck to the drill press was easy; I got the J33 to MT2 arbor adapter, and it went together with a few taps.

For about $115, (Chuck + arbor adapter) I’m very pleased with the results.

Link below to where I purchased it:

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

#1 posted 06-11-2018 06:47 PM

Very glad it works for you.

Thanks for the tips.

-- Wood rescue is good for the environment and me! just rjR

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#2 posted 06-11-2018 10:32 PM

That is a nice chuck. What is the runout with it installed?

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 06-12-2018 12:37 PM

Prices have come down on the Rohm chucks quite a bit. I’ll have to save up my pennies to get one for the drill press.

I have one on a Bosch hammer drill and agree that they are very high quality.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

#4 posted 06-26-2018 02:11 AM

I am about to pull the trigger on a WEN DP. Nothing fancy, just a 10 inch (or maybe 12) benchtop version. Hadn’t considered a different chuck, but maybe. It’s appealing. Would this be a benefit on smaller press like this or is there a lighter duty, less expensive upgrade that would be worth it? I do mostly smaller projects and there isn’t a 2 inch forstner bit even in my shop:)

#5 posted 06-27-2018 04:06 AM

Id sure not get a different chuck until you see how well the one performs that comes with it. THe QC is simply just hit and miss. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don’t. I didnt! :-)

View Wuu's profile

Wuu

#6 posted 07-06-2018 03:46 PM

nice what brand of adapter did you get? hate to get one and have it add/ create runout. thanks

#7 posted 07-06-2018 03:52 PM

View Wuu's profile

Wuu

#8 posted 07-06-2018 03:55 PM

awesome. this will make my wen dp sweet. thank you so much.

#9 posted 07-10-2018 01:56 PM

I have a Craftsman 12 inch drill press and the runout is about 0.03 inches at about 3 inches from the chuck. Can you identify the problem as the chuck or the machine before you spend the $$ on a new chuck? I guess getting a keyless chuck would be another reason to swap out the chuck. And will the Rohm chuck take a bit as small as 1/16”?

#10 posted 07-10-2018 02:59 PM

- HankLP

Hmmm…. well, since you’ve got a way to measure run out, I’m assuming that you chucked up a bit and measured the runout on a bit or rod? The way to determine if the runout is on the chuck or the quill (drill press) would be to measure the runout on the quill shaft itself when fully extended down, I think. I know that some drill presses, you can actually tighten up/adjust the quill. Other times, I think it’s just that there’s slop in the main bearing, and there’s not much you can do. Can’t say for yours specifically.

As to the 1/16” bit, I have not tried it yet, but it’s advertized as going down to 1mm which is 0.039” which is a little less than 1/16”, so I don’t think you’ll run into any issues there. It does close down really tight. Hope that helps!

#11 posted 07-10-2018 03:56 PM

Thanks Pete. I had difficulty installing dot markers in the fret board on my banjos. Finally determined it was the runout. Guess I’ll bite the bullet and order a new chuck. It will be useful as well to be able to use the smaller bit size.

#12 posted 07-19-2018 04:05 AM

Got the Rohn chuck yesterday, and put it to work today. Problem solved! And bit changes are sooo slick and easy with the keyless. I’ll hang on to the old chuck because it will clamp 5/8”, and it will go with the drill press if I ever decide to upgrade… hmmmm…

#13 posted 07-19-2018 01:30 PM

Hank LP, glad you liked the chuck. It really does make bit changes very quick.

View traviscm's profile

traviscm

#14 posted 12-26-2018 04:37 PM

Looking for long term reviews. Has this DP continued to meet your expectations?

The wife just surprised me with the WEN 4225 for Christmas.

The keyless chuck seems like the way to go even if you don’t have runout with the OEM chuck.

Question: Is there a Rohm that will fit the supplied MT2 taper spindle?

#15 posted 12-27-2018 01:19 AM

I’m not sure if there’s a Chuck to fit the original mt2 taper. I figured that $15 for the new taper adapter was worth it, in case the original one was out of wack.
Overall, though, I am super pleased with both the Chuck and the drill press. Both have been great. Still no bits have slipped in the Chuck.