2 out of 3 IS bad!! - I'm an idiot!!

Review by BobinSachse posted 04-28-2018 01:50 AM 4209 views 0 times favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
2 out of 3 IS bad!! - I'm an idiot!! 2 out of 3 IS bad!! - I'm an idiot!! 2 out of 3 IS bad!! - I'm an idiot!! Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well,
I got burned by a hidden screw in a piece of wood I was cutting on my Grizzly 0513ANV band saw,

It was the blade that came with the saw.

Not a huge loss, but with no blade, I decided to order 3 blades from Sawblades.com. I ordered them Tuesday evening and received them on Thursday afternoon. QUICK Shipping!!!

I went to resaw some African Blackwood for Knife scales for a friend. I had ordered Q201 3/4” 3 Tpi for resawing. I pulled it out of the box and guess what?? It was packaged flipped over and I thought they screwed up.

I looked at the Q101 1/2” 4 hook blade I got and, yes it was packaged backwards too!!!!!!

So I checked the Q101 1/4” 4 hook blade i got for fine work and it was correct. Whew!! No pic because it was correct.

I lowered the saw speed to 1700 RPM and was actually able to cut the African Blackwood well enough with the 1/4” blade. Not my idea of the correct blade, but you gotta do what you have to do in a pinch. With luck, I will get my act together and think more before I jump to conclusions.. I give them 4.5 out of 5 stars.

.5 star off for improper packaging of two of the blades.

If the other two blades cut anywhere as nice as the 1/4” did, they will be awesome.

ZERO stars for me.

View Rich's profile

Rich

#1 posted 04-28-2018 02:19 AM

They can’t be flipped inside-out?

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

1228 posts in 2051 days

#2 posted 04-28-2018 03:09 AM

What Rich said…these blades can be flipped inside-out…you can’t weld these things backwards…

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

10859 posts in 1998 days

#3 posted 04-28-2018 03:32 AM

Ditto

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View Andre's profile

Andre

#4 posted 04-28-2018 06:47 AM

It is all in the wrist! Rotate right to left instead of left to right, and remember to bite lower left lip right before making the flip motion!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#5 posted 04-28-2018 10:28 AM

At first I thought this was an April Fool’s joke. Then I realized the poster was serious. Thanks for the laugh..just turn the blade “outside in”

#6 posted 04-28-2018 02:06 PM

You know the feeling when you bolt straight up out of sleep at 3:00 am and realize you’re a dumb-a$$???? Hope not, cause it kinda sucks!!

No excuses here. Just a public apology to sawblades.com from me. The blades WERE packaged flipped over, but one needs to be smarter than a strip of steel.

The one blade I did use cut some HARD stuff nicely. I will post more results after I flip the other blades around and cut some rock hard Elm.

Let the editing commence.

Crawling under the rock again.

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#7 posted 04-28-2018 02:12 PM

nice recovery Bob! We have all been there or are heading there at some point in our lives!

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

#8 posted 04-28-2018 02:22 PM

Scott,
You’re too kind, but thank you.

I wish it were an April Fools joke as mentioned above, but I guess I’m the April fool this time….

View Mike_D_S's profile

Mike_D_S

#9 posted 04-28-2018 02:54 PM

My guess is that every one of us who has gone through a few blades have all either accidentally flipped or received one flipped.

So I would guess all of us have had the same “what the hell?” moment at the some point the first time we encountered our first flipped blade. For some of us it just happened before the invention of social media, so it’s really technology’s fault!

Mike

-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......

View Rich's profile

Rich

#10 posted 04-28-2018 03:20 PM

What Rich said…these blades can be flipped inside-out…you can t weld these things backwards…

- Rayne

You’ve never heard of the Moebius band saw blade?

View therealSteveN's profile

therealSteveN

#11 posted 04-28-2018 05:00 PM

Hopefully after anyone mounts that blade backassward, they note it just doesn’t look right, and reflip it before making any cuts. My learning curve on that happened years ago, and I can attest it does the blade no good to run them goofy footed. If that is the worst thing you do in a lifetime of woodworking, you are way ahead of most of us.

Goofs, problems, parts forgotten, and stuff mounted backward, this doesn’t even mention aprons you cut to exact length to discover you forgot to add any overage for tenon stubs. All of that = LEARNING, and as long as you don’t get injured, all is good in the universe. You just get a chance to remind yourself, you are made in his image, but have no real tributes that he considers as normal.

-- Think safe, be safe

#12 posted 04-28-2018 05:47 PM

well…..................
1/4 inch it is

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#13 posted 04-28-2018 11:43 PM

That’s nothing, you should see me try to do one of those flippy-foldy things to fold up a blade. I think every time I do it I have to relearn the process. It’s a funny thing to watch (including the language during the process).

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#14 posted 04-29-2018 01:34 AM

I have a hell of a time folding up BS blades correctly. Even when I (accidentally) get it right, I forget for next time.

View mel52's profile

mel52

#15 posted 04-29-2018 02:50 AM

I also have problems folding up BS blades correctly. I have learned to wear gloves. Before gloves, my hands and at times my arms looked like I just had a fight with a bobcat in a phone booth. I came in 2nd.

-- MEL, Kansas