Supermax new 16-32 sander

Review by Woodmaster1 posted 11-25-2017 06:34 AM 6126 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Supermax new 16-32 sander Supermax new 16-32 sander Supermax new 16-32 sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is an awesome drum sander. The only assembly required was to assemble the stand to put it on. The extension tables are an extra but fold down when not in use. The extensions were easy to attach an adjust to level. I have used it for about three weeks and put it through sanding end grain cutting boards to making .054 bands for boxes. The innovation of adjusting the drum quickly up and down with a lever is fantastic. No more cranking the handle a turn at a time to adjust the height.

View Woodmaster1's profile (online now)

Woodmaster1

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

#2 posted 11-25-2017 03:05 PM

I have one as well and agree its a great machine. So far the Intellisand has been great and I haven’t gotten any burning. The quick adjust lever is a great usability addition. The smaller size of the unit was the key for me as it allowed me to find a spot for it in my small, one-garage shop. I would rate the machine 4/5 stars as I feel the following could be improved:
  • I found the folding tables to be a PITA to adjust and one of the bolts broke while attaching it (SuperMax was great about sending me out a replacement though). I’m sure these tables could be much better designed.
  • The DRO can’t be manually adjusted like most of the Wixey ones. I would rather calibrate by using calipers and then dialing in the exact measurement like I can on my Wixed for my planer.
View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#3 posted 11-25-2017 03:24 PM

I have the 19-38 and absolutely love it. I use it all the time.

View Albert's profile

Albert

#4 posted 11-27-2017 02:18 PM

I have sander envy, I dislike my Delta sander hugely.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#5 posted 11-27-2017 06:00 PM

Having it’s grand daddy, the Performax 16-32, it’s interesting to see the improvements. Looks like a very functional DS!

View Lou319's profile

Lou319

#6 posted 11-28-2017 08:47 PM

It was my early Christmas present to myself and am very pleased with it. After working for a small company making custom furniture, I knew the benefit of having a thickness sander in my home shop to make projects go a lot smoother.

However, I did have a small issue with the conveyor motor having a significant wobble to it right from the beginning. I sent the retailer an email with a video of the problem and Supermax sent me a new conveyor bed and motor immediately. I am happy with that type of customer service and will certainly brag about it.

I agree with Ottacat on the DRO and usually dial in the same way with calipers.

All in all, no regrets in dropping that kind of money on a machine that consistently does what it is supposed to.

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#7 posted 11-29-2017 09:33 PM

I have the earlier iteration. I thought when I got the machine that it would be a luxury and I would use it infrequently. It is now a very important machine, ideal for reducing the thickness of figured wood, when a planer will just not hack it (or actually hacks the hell out of it). I just wish my machine had the benefits of what you have in the latest iteration.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

View PRGDesigns's profile

PRGDesigns

#8 posted 12-06-2017 11:38 PM

I just wish everything in my shop was built as well as my Performax / Supermax drum sander and/or everyone’s customer service was as excellent as what you get from Performax / Supermax. My only concern is what will happen with the new owners.

-- They call me Mr. Silly

View Neil's profile

Neil

#9 posted 12-14-2017 07:04 PM

Wow, im surprised that this newer machine is in such good favor with you guys. I hate my supermax 19-38 combo brush drum sander and wish i never bought it. Id be happy to sell mine for cheap if someone wants it.

View BaltimoreChris's profile

BaltimoreChris

#10 posted 01-26-2018 10:50 PM

This Supermax 16-32 just went on sale for $999 plus shipping/tax at Woodcraft and Rockler. Looks attractive. I’m curious on thoughts on the benefit/value of the folding indeed/outfeed table for the extra $120. Also, looks like the casters are overpriced at $90 and maybe the $50 Kreg casters would work. Neil, what don’t you like about your 19-38? This would be my first use of a drum sander, so appreciate any input.

View Woodmaster1's profile (online now)

Woodmaster1

#11 posted 01-27-2018 03:22 AM

It is a great sander and the tables fold so they are worth it. The older supermax tables don’t fold and the tables are nice to have. I got my casters at harbor freight and they work fine and are a savings of seventy dollars. The savings on the casters pays for half on the cost on the tables. Good luck on your decision.

View EBpenguy's profile

EBpenguy

8 posts in 2064 days

#12 posted 02-01-2018 05:47 PM

I just bought this sander myself – and one warning – BE CAREFUL assembling the stand. DON’T file the holes for mounting the power unit to the stand, no matter how much it looks like you need to. The stand is a real PITA to assemble – not because its hard work, but the tolerances on its assembly are truly tight. Pay attention to how the legs, side braces and cross arms are layered in the instructions – one wrong move and the holes don’t line up by only the thickness of the metal. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and it took me three full shots of assembly – disassembly to get it so that all 4 top holes were totally clear and not partially blocked. The instructions are pretty vague – just giving you a warning that things may not work out if you don’t layer the pieces properly but not much clarity as to how they should be. Doesn’t say much for SuperMax’s technical writers for sure.

Also, Supermax had the casters back-ordered at my local woodcraft. Speaking with the owner of the store, he offered alternates including pretty nice 3” casters that have locks on every wheel. Woodcraft part number 148595 if you are interested. These were $30 bucks each, versus the $89 per pair SuperMax price. The wheels are a hard urethane that looks pretty tough and the spindles are 1/2” which fit into the stand holes. I recommend them.

Now if I can just get the time to assemble the rest, I will post my thoughts on this machine in another post.

-- Kevin - making shavings when ever I can!

View paul1474's profile

paul1474

#13 posted 03-01-2018 11:25 AM

I just bought mine on sale at Rockler, used their casters. I had trouble with stand also, I enlarged holes, didn’t seem to be an issue. Instructions on outfeed tables not very good. Roller tension was suppose to be set at factory, someone had day off then. Haven’t got DRO dialed in yet, maybe it won’t be accurate. Sander seems to work fine. Overall it does what it is suppose to do. The hype is a little overrated

View MLK's profile

MLK

#14 posted 01-21-2019 11:51 PM

I bought the Jet 16 32 sander and really liked it, the problem was I had a very hard time changing the sanding belts. I talked to the people at Woodcraft and they changed it out for me for the 16 32 Supper Max abought $200. I love the machine belts are a lot ease yer to change and the over all machine is great. The problem is the DRO It never worked right from the day I brought it home, and that was last September (2018) When you zero it holds for a few seconds and the numbers start jumping all over place, and gets worst when you change the settings. When I talked to there customer service they said it was the Digital gauge and the would send me a new one, I waited 4 weeks to get it, did not correct the problem. That was the end of October. To make a long story short since October they sent me another that was wrong, now I been waiting for another part for the last 5 weeks hasten shown up yet and when I call them they wont return my calls. I noticed in some of the post they mentioned how great there customer service was I would love to know who they talked to.

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#15 posted 01-22-2019 12:08 AM

GRATZ ON NEW TOY :<))))))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN