All Replies on Which Dowel Jig for aligment of cabinets/shelves in plywood/mdf?

  • Advertise with us
View mickmick's profile

Which Dowel Jig for aligment of cabinets/shelves in plywood/mdf?

by mickmick
posted 11-29-2018 02:13 PM

7 replies so far

View Bill White's profile

Bill White

5242 posts in 4563 days

#1 posted 11-29-2018 03:36 PM

I use a stupid simple General dowel jig. Works well, and not expensive at all.

-- [email protected]

View mickmick's profile


3 posts in 416 days

#2 posted 11-29-2018 07:38 PM

Sounds interesting – what is it exactly?

View DS's profile


3359 posts in 3023 days

#3 posted 11-29-2018 10:12 PM

-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251

View Nubsnstubs's profile


1660 posts in 2332 days

#4 posted 11-30-2018 12:53 PM

I have a Dowlit jig I bought back in ‘79. It looks like the one you linked to is a copy. It was used for over 10 years before I bought better one with a cord attached.

Right away I realized using the absolute center of the thickness was a problem. I bought a lot of from different suppliers. Some came in at 13/16, some at 25/32, and some at 3/4”. Using absolute center for dowels would cause both surfaces to be uneven, or not match up. I quickly offset my jig, and my holes are about 1/16 off center. When the pieces are marked for the dowels and drilled, the top will be aligned. I did the same for all my face frames until I found a Pacco horizontal borer. In this case, it would be way too much trouble finding center, so I raised the bit until it’s about 3/8” from the table. I can do 5/8” up to 8 quarter on one setup. On the 8 quarter, I mark both sides, flip it over and a hole for each side. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

-- Jerry (in Tucson)

View mickmick's profile


3 posts in 416 days

#5 posted 12-01-2018 05:42 PM

Nubs – think you are right about centering, I’ll just be more careful about organising the panels.

Did some research today and the Jessem appeals but can it be indexed from the end of a panel? I see it being used to mate faces via a pencil mark, but can it be indexed from the side of a panel in some way?

View RDan's profile


131 posts in 2926 days

#6 posted 12-02-2018 11:09 PM

Check out these 2 jigs one is Phil Thein who is making a $50 jig that you can do 1/4”or 3/8”. The other one I like is the Dowel Wizard for about $79.95. I have not used either of these, but thinking about trying them. I bought the JessEM Doweling Jig Master Kit. I like it, had a small learning curve figuring out the offset from the edge, that and old 2×4s that were a little wider than today’s. I also own the Rockler offset set your stock has to be the right dimension to get the correct centering. The self centering jigs, have either removal or fixed. These all work well, but I prefer the JessEM. Dan

View hkmiller's profile


180 posts in 684 days

#7 posted 12-03-2018 12:17 AM

Get a biscuit jointer. Perfect for what you want to do.

-- always something

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics