All Replies on How to adjust for springback

  • Advertise with us
View Dmitriy_S's profile

How to adjust for springback

by Dmitriy_S
posted 11-12-2018 03:19 AM

4 replies so far

View Aj2's profile


3405 posts in 2675 days

#1 posted 11-12-2018 04:02 AM

3/32 is a very good thickness for walnut laminations.
If you really want to limit any spring back use plastic resin glue. But beware it’s very hard on tooling for that reason I hardly ever go that route. I use TB3 for walnut and hope for the best.
Good luck

-- Aj

View Mike_D_S's profile


605 posts in 3091 days

#2 posted 11-12-2018 04:14 AM

Well the WAG method would say do a test run on the form you have and see how much spring back you get then make a new form based on that.

But assuming you are going to case the door frames like in the pictures, then you can probably tolerate a bit of compression in the arch as those forces will press down on the tops of the verticals on the sides.

-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......

View shipwright's profile


8592 posts in 3675 days

#3 posted 11-12-2018 04:18 AM

+1 Aj
Use a hard drying glue like urea formaldehyde (plastic resin) or hide glue. Urea formaldehyde’s require much higher clamping pressure but both will resist springback much better than PVA’s.
Experiment of course but you should get virtually none with these glues if you use reasonably thin layers.

-- Paul M ..............the early bird may get the worm but it’s the second mouse that gets the cheese!

View John_'s profile


251 posts in 2583 days

#4 posted 11-12-2018 04:18 AM

I think I would try one of the ‘flexible’ products and see if it would look good enough once finished

I have used flexible crown from ResinArt for some 8” wide crown molding on a curved wall (paint grade) and was very pleased with the results. Let me warn you though, it is not cheap. I used a 12’ long piece and it was $32 per foot!

For the ‘face’ of the arch, like in your test, I would look into some ‘bender ply’ of the appropriate species. Here is a pic I took of some of it stacked up at my local lumberyard.

I think they call this stuff ‘flexi mdf’ (I have not used it yet)

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics