All Replies on Vertical drawer

  • Advertise with us
View groland's profile

Vertical drawer

by groland
posted 09-16-2018 03:58 PM

8 replies so far

View ocean's profile


216 posts in 1714 days

#1 posted 09-16-2018 04:02 PM

Half blind dovetails. Look in Youtube for how to videos. The 1/2” ply will be a problem – chip outs

-- Bob, FL Keys

View TheFridge's profile


10861 posts in 2367 days

#2 posted 09-16-2018 05:07 PM

Typically done with a dovetail jig.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View Rich's profile


5967 posts in 1470 days

#3 posted 09-16-2018 06:03 PM

Typically done with a dovetail jig.

- TheFridge


What you’re describing is called a rabbeted half-blind dovetail. The process is to cut a rabbet on the side of each drawer front that’s 1/2” wide and slightly deeper than the depth of your dovetail. After that, the process is the same as any other half-blind dovetail but made slightly more challenging because you can’t get the saw to much of an angle.

Using a jig like the Leigh, it’s a piece of cake. I’ve done them several times.

Here’s my suggestion. It’s just a piece of shop furniture, not a museum piece. Do a false front. In other words, build your drawer box out of the 1/2” plywood to the correct dimensions to allow for your slides, then screw your 3/4” birch plywood, cut full width, to it.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View cracknpop's profile


451 posts in 3230 days

#4 posted 09-16-2018 06:10 PM

Are you perhaps asking about a sliding dovetail joint like this…

If so, here is an article how to make them.

-- Rick - I know I am not perfect, but I will keep pressing on toward the goal of becoming all I am called to be.

View TheFridge's profile


10861 posts in 2367 days

#5 posted 09-16-2018 06:53 PM

Ohhhh. I see said the blind man.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View groland's profile


230 posts in 4293 days

#6 posted 09-16-2018 07:08 PM


Yes, yes, thank you, THANK you!

Sorry guys, but I’m so dumb, I just couldn’t think of the adjective, “sliding”, for sliding dovetails.

For anyone else who happens upon this thread, this video: seems like a good introduction.

Problem solved…just need to get a suitable router bit now!

View shawnn's profile


152 posts in 2246 days

#7 posted 09-19-2018 04:16 PM

I think they’re also called French dovetails. I’ve done them, not overly difficult on my Incra router table. Probably the trickiest part is setting up stops to cut the drawer fronts. The drawer sides are cut the entire width top to bottom.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile


16938 posts in 3499 days

#8 posted 09-19-2018 04:35 PM

You could also get one of these.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. - OldTools Archive -

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics