All Replies on need 8 point saw advice

  • Advertise with us
View Karda's profile

need 8 point saw advice

by Karda
posted 01-29-2018 04:50 AM

4 replies so far

View Johnny7's profile


500 posts in 1945 days

#1 posted 01-29-2018 04:59 AM

I’m afraid “bent” is putting it mildly.

In my opinion, your best bet is to cut off the damaged part and make yourself a panel saw.
(a panel saw is between 18 and 24” in length and is used at the bench for finer work)

An 8 pt cross-cut would be ideal for this purpose.

View bandit571's profile


26524 posts in 3538 days

#2 posted 01-29-2018 05:28 AM

Is this like yours?

Cut-off wheel to cut the damaged end off.
Simple Green and a Purple/Maroon 3M scratch pad to clean the rustiness off.

The “Townsman” logo was usually a silk-screened affair. Carefully go around it, to keep it.
Saw was one of the later “Keystone” line of saws. Mid to late 50s….

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View Karda's profile


2462 posts in 1408 days

#3 posted 01-29-2018 06:29 AM

Thanks for the information, Yes the saw pictured is like Mine I hate to cut it up but if it necessary. How should I profile the the tip. I’ll try the simple green

View Tim's profile


3859 posts in 2816 days

#4 posted 01-29-2018 02:09 PM

You can learn to mostly hammer that out if you really want to, but it may be too kinked to repair fully. It takes a flat piece of steel, as polished as possible, and a polished hammer such as a ball peen. Light taps around the area will flatten it pretty well.

Here’s a blog and youtube video on the process:

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics