LumberJocks

All Replies on Oak wood allergy?? Need help

  • Advertise with us
View Dan's profile

Oak wood allergy?? Need help

by Dan
posted 07-19-2010 07:31 PM


16 replies so far

View lew's profile

lew

12810 posts in 4178 days


#1 posted 07-19-2010 08:10 PM

I’m not a doctor- and don’t even play one on TV- but could there have been some mold spores to which you are allergic? I don’t know if red oak gets “spalted” but it is very porous and there could have been something lodged in the pores.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View davidpettinger's profile

davidpettinger

661 posts in 3623 days


#2 posted 07-19-2010 08:19 PM

You need to see a good allergist regarding this. I wouldn’t wait.

-- Methods are many,Principles are few.Methods change often,Principles never do.

View brunob's profile

brunob

2277 posts in 4592 days


#3 posted 07-19-2010 08:42 PM

I’d agree with Lew. It may not be the oak at all. In the meantime wear latex gloves and check with an allergist.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View Gary's profile

Gary

9398 posts in 3855 days


#4 posted 07-19-2010 10:33 PM

I havve an allergy to red oak. It causes me to itch like poison oak/poison ivy. No whelps,etc…just an awful itch.

-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill

View lilredweldingrod's profile

lilredweldingrod

2496 posts in 3529 days


#5 posted 07-19-2010 10:45 PM

I can’t be around Mesquite. Bad allergy. So I look for other woods. I went to an allergist and had the 500 tests done on my back. At least now I know what to avoid.

They have treatment by injection of very small amounts of what ever you are allergic to and it gradually helps you to build up the antibodies to the allergy causing elements.

Your family doctor can guide you to the right specialists for this. Good Luck. Rand

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

117655 posts in 3999 days


#6 posted 07-19-2010 10:47 PM

You night try one of these guys.

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1553#comment-727508

View pommy's profile

pommy

1697 posts in 4113 days


#7 posted 07-19-2010 10:48 PM

you maybe allergic to tanalin which is in the oak

-- cut it saw it scrap it SKPE: ANDREW.CARTER69

View Dan's profile

Dan

3653 posts in 3303 days


#8 posted 07-20-2010 02:16 AM

Thanks for the comments/advice. I am going to stay away from the oak wood I have for a while and maybe use it again in a few months. If the same symptoms come back then I will just stop working with it all together. I just thought it was strange because I am not allergic to anything else. I guess I found my weakness.

Thanks again!

-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"

View Gregn's profile

Gregn

1642 posts in 3406 days


#9 posted 07-20-2010 02:44 AM

I wouldn’t doubt that its possible for you to be allergic to Oak and causing respiratory problems. What I don’t understand is the fingers turning black. This leads me to believe there is something in the wood itself causing this. Have you tried a different source to obtain your oak and storing in a different area. Have you tried wiping it down with denatured alcohol before sanding?

-- I don't make mistakes, I have great learning lessons, Greg

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

3471 posts in 3531 days


#10 posted 07-20-2010 02:59 AM

Try to separate the incidents out:

Which times were the reactions? Restoration, removing finish, or fresh lumber? The black could be black mold (mildew) if the wood was wet for an appreciable time. Look up black mold for symptoms, it sounds like your problem:

http://www.theallergyreliefcenter.com/mold_allergy.htm#3

-- Random Orbital Nailer

View tbreland's profile

tbreland

60 posts in 3673 days


#11 posted 07-20-2010 03:56 AM

Mine did that too, but I think it was mostly a honing/stone/oil thing. Plus all my planes are pre-war. But it was a filth that even Lava couldn’t kill.

-- Come down off the cross, we can use the wood. -Tom Waits

View SnowyRiver's profile

SnowyRiver

51458 posts in 3903 days


#12 posted 07-20-2010 05:11 AM

View Knothead62's profile

Knothead62

2600 posts in 3383 days


#13 posted 07-20-2010 04:57 PM

I would see a specialist in immunology/allergies. An allergy survey would tell exactly what you are allergic to. Most people are allergic to something and don’t know it. This could develop into something serious. I was never allergic to bee stings until about 6 years ago. Now I carry an Epi-Pen and benadryl tablet all during warm weather. The ER doctor said my problem would get worse with each sting until a time that it could be fatal. Fun, huh?

View armylogger's profile

armylogger

41 posts in 3367 days


#14 posted 07-20-2010 08:42 PM

I am in no way an expert, but in my opinion I would say that there is some type of mold present in your wood. Where have you been storing it? Where did you buy it? Was it bought from a big box store or was it cut at a local mill and has been air drying for the past year? If it has been air drying or has been stored for a while (even if it’s only a few weeks) there is a very large chance that it has become moldy. Even if you can not see it. I seem to think this especially since you say that your fingers have turned black.

-- Of all the people I have met in my life, you are one of them!

View armylogger's profile

armylogger

41 posts in 3367 days


#15 posted 07-20-2010 08:44 PM

Oh yeah, especially when you were restoring the old table. Was it inside someones house or had it been sitting outside in a barn collecting dust for a long time?

-- Of all the people I have met in my life, you are one of them!

View imallchalkedup's profile

imallchalkedup

393 posts in 3404 days


#16 posted 10-06-2010 06:02 AM

Iv’e been reading about red oak, because I have some that smells like puke and Iv’e been finding out that red oak is prone to this for a number of fungeral diseases and gets this putrid smell when still wet or green. Iv’e also noticed that when turning it on the lathe for awhile I get head aches and sick to my stomach, last time I turned it I was sick for three days, but wasn’t convinced yet that it was the wood, but now after turning it a few more times I am now concerned that it is making me ill. So probably, without an special mask or respirator, I will probably no longer turn red oak. Whit oak don’t seem to get this as often as I have read, but I’ll have to watch it also. But many have complained about red oak and it’s bad odor and making some people feel sick, other than that I haven’t found any more information. I just happened to come across this post doing a search about red oak and bad smelling oak, so I thought I would comment also.

-- RStadler

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com