Reply by Gofor

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Where could I buy plane blades for Stanley no. 8 and no. 7 planes?

View Gofor's profile


470 posts in 4263 days

#1 posted 12-06-2008 12:14 AM

Woodcraft and Klingspor’s also sell Stanley blades (now made in the UK). If you go to the Hock blades you will need to back up the frog, as the Hock irons are thicker. A hock chip breaker by itself will stiffen up a thin iron (Dunlap or Marshall Wells) if you have chatter, or want to turn an old #5 into a scrub plane, etc. I have used both new Stanley’s and Hocks, and prefer to spend the extra for the Hocks as they hold an edge much longer in hard wood.

But, if you want to radically radius an iron for scrub work, and don’t want to use an expensive iron, the $3 two-inch Buck Brothers irons at home depot are cheap but will hold up well for scrub work and fit both Stanley and Dunlap planes up to #5. It will take a bit of effort to flatten the back, tho, as they have heavy mill marks.


-- Go

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics