Reply by Lazyman

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Help repairing a roller stand

View Lazyman's profile


7990 posts in 2633 days

#1 posted 07-20-2021 01:30 PM

Looks like steel to me. If it is actually steel, this would be a lot easier if you have a friend who can weld for you. You could simply have them weld a nut over the existing hole. If you take it to a welding shop, they might do it for free or less than $10 if you do all the prep to drill out the old hole, grind off the paint and zinc off the nut beforehand; otherwise, here is how I would address it.
  • I would get a thicker piece of steel and cut (hack saw, angle grinder bench grinder, file) it to the same triangular shape as the piece there and drill the 2 attachment holes to line up with the ones there.
  • Drill 2 more holes further down on the diagonal pieces and tap them to accept 2 more bolts. Remove the plate to do the tapping and enlarge the 2 new holes in the plate to clear the treads of the bolts.
  • I would drill out the old hole larger than the hole in the new plate so that the new bolt passes through it.
  • Drill a new hole exactly where the old tapped hole is and tap it to what ever size bolt you decide you want to use. I would get a new tightening bolt with a nob to match the new hole.
  • Attach the new plate over the old one with 4 bolts (might need longer ones)

Having someone weld a nut on will probably be cheaper.

EDIT: I should have proofread more carefully after editing. Fixed now.

-- Nathan, TX -- Hire the lazy man. He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics