Reply by AndyJ1s

  • Advertise with us

Posted on newbie need input

View AndyJ1s's profile


471 posts in 667 days

#1 posted 07-22-2020 04:52 PM

Glass is usually installed in a rabbet, not a groove, in a panel, and secured with glazier’s points (little diamond-shaped, sharp metal pieces that are pressed into the side of the rabbet to hold the glass in place.

For exterior, weatherproof installations, the rabbet is on the outside, and filled with glazing putty to seal the joint between glass and wood, thus filling the rabbet and preventing water from pooling in it.

For most interior installations (e.g. cabinet doors), the rabbet is on the inside (therefore the glass is installed from the inside), and glazing putty is not usually used, especially if the wood is not painted. Small molding can be installed, mitered at the corners, to hide the glazier’s points, if desired (more often in an eye-level cabinet door that is often opened, making the back-side of the glass door more visible.) Do not glue the molding in place. You want it to be easy to remove in case the glass is broken.

If the frame is painted, glazing putty is usually easier and faster to apply than molding, and is painted to match.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics