Reply by therealSteveN

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Edge Profile - Mid-Century Modern Furniture

View therealSteveN's profile


7009 posts in 1549 days

#1 posted 12-15-2018 01:11 PM

The 2 most utilitarian looks that come to mind are A&C, and Shaker. Both of these are pretty much sans unnecessary adornment. It’s more common to see a straight looking edge on them, but makers still break that edge, and keep it square to look at, but lightly smooth on it’s edge so they aren’t sharp to the touch. A practiced hand can do this with a block plane, but many use a very quick pass of a folder over piece of sandpaper. Using a round over can get out of hand pretty quick. Not that a nice 1/8” roundover is a bad thing, and once set up on a router table you can quickly do all of the parts uniformly before assembly. For my $$$$$$ being uniform is better than any one exact look. Same can also be done with a very slight chamfer bit.

Whatever you do decide, practice first with some scrap that you have jointed square. Anything you use can make it a 1/8” round over pretty fast.

-- Think safe, be safe

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics