LumberJocks

Reply by Renaissance_Man

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Pocket hole woes

View Renaissance_Man's profile

Renaissance_Man

13 posts in 1934 days


#1 posted 12-11-2018 12:54 AM

Well I have implemented a solution, but in some ways, the cure was worse than the disease. And the edge banding was 1/4 inch thick. If it were thinner, it might not have been a problem. And yes, I was using an impact driver. Won’t do that again. I thought I had it clamped pretty well, but I guess not.

Anyway, I just decided to take out the screws and knock the thing apart, which is where the cure being worse part comes in. Even without the screws, the glue held things together pretty well, so when I knocked it apart, it tore part of the top layer off the plywood on one end. When I knocked apart the other end, I scored the plywood with a utility knife right next to the joint and things went much better.

Anyway, I cut the side pieces shorter, just above the pocket holes, and will take 3/4 inch off each end of the mating piece, put new edge banding on, and put things back together with some countersunk screws. Probably not the prettiest solution, but it shouldn’t be too bad. I should have just bought the Miller dowels from the get-go, but they’re expensive. But the pocket holes actually turned out to be even more expensive. Oh well. I learned something, which is kind of what I intended. The dresser is for me, and I figured I’d live with any screwups, and see where the pitfalls were when I try to build one for somebody else later on.

Anyway, thank you for the tips. Will know better next time.


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com