Reply by Rockingm69

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Trying to identify block plane

View Rockingm69's profile


6 posts in 883 days

#1 posted 04-25-2018 01:59 AM

The Stanleys have a hole for the adjuster pivot
pin. You ll never find a Sargent adjuster but you
may be able to fit a threaded knob to the hole
and adjust it. The Stanley adjuster is a stamped
steel thing. The Sargent adjuster is a cast bronze
thing. Be grateful you have the sole plate.

FYI, I bought my Craftsman for $5 on ebay. I knew
I wanted a knuckle cap and this style isn t as
popular as the Stanley style. There are reasons
for that you d discover if you used both but if you
never tried the Stanley you wouldn t have complaints
about the Sargent.

I m not an expert. I m just looking at the pictures and
it s jogging my memory.

- Loren

Thanks for the info. I have thought about trying to make the slide adjuster but I don’t think it will be bronze. Hopefully I can find the depth adjuster now that I know it’s a Union. Any idea how old it’s is?

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics