Reply by olegrump

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Newbie question regarding miter tracks, miter bars, t-tracks, etc.

View olegrump's profile


97 posts in 673 days

#1 posted 04-05-2018 01:04 PM

Almost any miter gauge will fit a 3/8 X 3/4 MITER SLOT, which is a groove in a saw, router, sander or other work table. Once the miter is set, one holds the work firmly to the gauge and the edge being worked against the machine. “T” tracks, as the name implies, look like the letter “T” on edge. In this case, one uses a base piece, prevented from popping up by the lips of the “T”, with either a screw going into, or out of, the base piece. These are used to keep wood in place while it is being worked by various hold down devices. You Tube is rife with “ingenious” inventions using “T” tracks to hold material in place.
There are some miter gauges which have a round disk at the end, designed to ride in a slot cast into the table of SOME modern table saws. The purpose is to keep the miter gauge bar from riding up out of the slot. People are always commenting about having to remove this disk to use it in a more conventional miter slot, but the bar fits in the slot after that. There are a number of shop made fence extensions, stop blocks and hold downs one can add to a miter gauge to greatly increase it’s performance.
I would also be one who is interested in seeing a photo of the workbench you’re using.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics