Reply by CharlesNeil

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Making "flat" lacquer

View CharlesNeil's profile


2501 posts in 4728 days

#1 posted 03-13-2018 09:47 PM

No jbay.the settlement is the flattner.
Go on any woodworking store..grab a can of rattlel lacquer..shake it.if its a semi glosd satin or will have a rattle. If is a gloss.nothing.
The ball is there to mix the flattner..
Check a spray can of shellac…nada..nothing. its always gloss.
There are several flatteners used
Most are fumed silica. A sand derivative. It diffuses the light and makes threm appear
what ever sheen desired..
The key is the amount of flattner used.
They actually sell it separately. It can be used on most finishes and used to diffuse shellac. As well.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics