Reply by John Smith

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Help with stamp identification

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

2646 posts in 1008 days

#1 posted 02-12-2018 09:48 PM

when I had my sign shop, I regularly purchased skids of vertical grain redwood boards
that was normally 2×8”x12ft and laminated them into panels for signs. (so a 20 footer is not rare).
so I am thinking with Bill that those are just “skins” from a resaw factory.
on the redwood that I bought, there were all kinds of stamps on them which meant nothing
to me (as the consumer). I guess like any commodity, it will have certain governmental regulations.
Redwood from California is very strictly regulated and monitored. this would be the need for the “RIS”.
there is some interesting reading on the Pacific Lumber Company (PALCO).

“vertical grain” is used for sandblasted signs to have a more pronounced grain pattern.
in thin pieces such as 3/8”, its use is pretty limited to either residential siding and picket fences
or smaller projects such as musical instruments or scroll intarsia art projects.
and from my experience, “old growth” has a tighter and straighter grain than “new-er growth”.
776 linear feet is a LOT of lumber !!!


-- there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks. --

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics