Reply by Loren

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Question: creating the compound radius in a guitar fretboard, is there a jig?

View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 4211 days

#1 posted 02-04-2018 06:17 PM

You can buy radius sanding blocks and sand
it in sections, blending the shapes. Stewart
McDonald sells those.

In factories it’s done with a jig mounted to
a belt sander. Grizzly sells those.

It can also be done with a sharp hand plane
and good judgment. You can make radius
templates out of paste board to check the
shape at various points of the fretboard.

One thing you do need for doing fretboards
is a really good straight edge. I also use
a “sanding plane” which is a piece of MDF
with plastic laminate glued to the faces to
keep it flat and sanding belt glued to one
side. I find it useful in flattening fretboards
and in leveling frets after they are put in.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics