Reply by Rich

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Does anyone sell this kind of hinge for a sector?

View Rich's profile


5527 posts in 1325 days

#1 posted 01-18-2018 06:49 PM

Sorry, one question: how is the brass tubing used?

- ColonelTravis

Notice in the photo you posted that there are brass tubing inserts at each location, 1, 2, 3… and R, D…

Those are for the tips of the dividers to sit in to get a precise setting on the sector. There are two ways to make one — put the points for setting the sector on the inner edge of the legs (small notches help to index it) and set the sector to the first measurement by opening it to width. The other, and more accurate, way is to use the dividers to measure the part to be divided. You can then set the sector to that opening so that the divider tips fit into the brass inserts at the location you want, and then set the dividers to the smaller setting using the inserts at the location that gives you the fraction you are looking for. In this method, the sector never touches the work piece, it’s all done with dividers.

I hope that makes sense.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics