Reply by dbray45

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Electrical problems in my new shop. Help please

View dbray45's profile


3391 posts in 3688 days

#1 posted 08-07-2017 04:26 PM

I would highly recommend what they call a “heavy up” to a new panel. If you are looking at putting in a central A/C system or heat pump, I would go with 200 Amp 220/240 volt service. The heavy up includes the cables to the pole and main breaker. This will give you the capacity that you will need now and the future.

I would then put new lines from the new panel to the shop and out in a sub-panel there (60 Amp, 220 volt) should be more than enough with 6 breakers (4 for 120 and 2 for the 220).

This will give you power for the equipment, lights, dehumidifier, dust collection, etc…

Make it safe from the start – costs you a little more but much less than recovering from an electrical fire.

-- David in Palm Bay, FL

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics