Reply by Fred Hargis

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Problem with Polyurethane

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

5683 posts in 2971 days

#1 posted 03-12-2017 01:59 PM

I’ve tried all sorts of O2 blockers and other tricks, I haven’t found any that are 100%. That includes Bloxygen, home made CO2, propane, and vacuum sealing. The home made CO2 is done by putting baking soda in a large pitcher, and then pouring vinegar into it. That gives off CO2, and since it’s heavier than air, it just displaces the air in the pitcher. You can then “pour” it into your finish can. (If you try this, you can prove it by lighting a match and sticking it in the pitcher; it goes out when you get to the CO2. Anyway, I also tried vacuum sealing with those Ziplock vacuum food storage bags (now discontinued). I cut the port off one and put it on the container lid, sucked so much air out the can started to deform…that didn’t work all that well, BTW. I think maybe putting marbles (or small clean rocks) in the can to get the level to the top works the best of the home made attempts I’ve tried, but it’s also the biggest mess. Now I’ve bought some of these, which is more or less the same idea: no air in the container….so far I haven’t had a chance to try them but I have high expectations. One tip though: the curing is a chemical process that starts when the finish is exposed to O2. Lower temps generally slow chemical reactions, so putting it in a fridge (I always do that) for storage really does slow it down.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics