Reply by luthierwnc

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Type 2 Sargent frog replacement question

View luthierwnc's profile


150 posts in 2655 days

#1 posted 02-13-2017 01:11 AM

I’m going to keep the original Japanning for now. My usual policy is to only repaint when the finish has rusted off. In this case, the metal looks clean.

The new iron ought to be here mid-week. I didn’t get a matching cap-iron this time. I’ve got the Grizzly version of a Tormek and I’ve found that if you use the horizontal blade fixture as close as you can get it to the stone, it does a pretty good job of leveling where the cap-iron meets the blade.

I did try the blade and cap from a Sargent VBM 410 and that worked OK—although I couldn’t get the edge right up against the front of the mouth for really fine shavings. For a fore plane that’s probably not a deal-breaker. Some of that might be the thinner 45-degree casting behind the mouth means the frog has to be up further. Clipping the back off some spare frog washers might get me another millimeter and the new thicker blade will help too. Then, there’s always the chainsaw file.

On Saturday I hardened the plane blades for some infill projects. The forge is just a paint can lined with plaster and sand but with two MAP torches, it will get hot enough for O1 steel. I’ll temper them in the next few days and see how they work.

Cheers and good luck with your projects, sh

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics