Reply by luthierwnc

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Type 2 Sargent frog replacement question

View luthierwnc's profile


150 posts in 2655 days

#1 posted 02-09-2017 10:29 PM

The 5418 showed this afternoon. Getting here from Oregon took longer than the replacement frog so everything is ready to go. Overall; I’m pleased. The base is indeed corrugated and dead flat. You can’t expect that—especially on a plane this long—but that saves a lot of work. Japanning; 50% but no rust so I won’t repaint it. All of the little parts are clean too.

This is definitely the thin-cast base. The replacement frog dropped right in. I’d forgotten there is a gap between the edge of the frog and the bed on these Sargents. I checked another one to be sure. The Stanley replacement iron has probably never been used on this plane. As usual, the slot is too narrow to fit the disc at the end of the lateral and it was bolted to the chipbreaker upside down. Strangely, it is well-honed so at some point, somebody knew what they were doing. I’ll order a Hock tonight.

One thing I hadn’t anticipated was that with the tote so close to the frog on these old ones, the tote has to be shorter than even a stock 414 to clear the lateral. I had a piece of Brazilian 1.1” x .42” x 8” that might have made a nice bridge for a small guitar but for a wormhole in the wrong place. I cut that in unequal thirds and laminated them together with just enough to spare for the top quarter of the tote.

Give me a few days to report back. My next woodworking project will be chainsawing a tree that fell on my fence last night. The top-rail has a nice “U” shape now.

Cheers, sh

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics