Reply by Fred Hargis

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Is this birch or maple? Which should I use?

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

5498 posts in 2850 days

#1 posted 01-31-2017 12:13 PM

Dyes (sometimes referred to incorrectly as “Aniline Dyes” are coloring agents you mix with something, water or DNA, and apply to the wood. Because there’s no binders (the adhesive component in a stain) or oil you don’t get the blotching that a stain will cause. It would be easier to get a good book like Flexner's or Jewitts and check them out for the use. There are solutions using stains, typically you would seal the wood first with something a wash coat (a very thin coating of finish, commonly but not always shellac) and apply stain over that. These aren’t advanced finishing techniques, actually fairly common.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics