Reply by DalyArcher

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Cabinet Update Project

View DalyArcher's profile


124 posts in 1538 days

#1 posted 01-24-2017 11:09 PM

You cannot cut those grooves in the doors you currently have.

Your existing kitchen looks similar to my existing kitchen. Plywood rabbeted doors I am assuming. The picture of the green cabinets are what is referred to as cope and stick doors. Your current doors are likely a single panel of 5/8 to 3/4 plywood. Cope and stick doors are made from stile and rail construction using 3/4” hardwood for the stile and rail and either a raised solid panel or 1/4” plywood center panel.

If you want to dress up your current doors I have seen others apply molding to the surface, 1/4 round or something similar to a shoe mold or an ogee type window molding cut and glued and pinned to the surface and then painted.

You could remake all the doors using shaker style stile and rail construction using pine of polar for the stile and rail and 1/4 mdf for the center panel constructed with only a tablesaw and a flat tooth ripping blade.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics