LumberJocks

Reply by Kirk650

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Blotch reduction

View Kirk650's profile

Kirk650

680 posts in 1663 days


#1 posted 10-13-2016 12:49 AM

Carlos, I just finished that big Blanket Chest. Put the antique bronze carry handles on it today. I had none of the problems that you mention. It was a white Hard Maple chest that I should have made from Walnut, but I bought the Maple so I gave it a go. It blotched horribly. I really thought that I had made a major mistake in buying that wood. I had tried many different blotch controllers over the years, but nothing worked that well, so I was in despair. I figured that I might as well try the Charles Neil version and pray that it would work. I must have worn out 8 bf of the Maple trying the blotch control and various water based dye combinations, but I finally found one that I liked. So, I put the blotch controller on the chest as suggested in the instructions, and let the second coat dry an extra day. Then I applied the first dye, which was a very strong mixture of Coffee Brown, and let it dry for two days. I applied it liberally with a wide foam brush. The second dye was mostly Dark Wine Cherry from JE Moser, and it was a bit less strong. It actually dissolved some of the first dye, which turned out to be a good thing, and the final result was dark brown, with some reddish tones. The grain is clearly visible and it isn’t blotched except for a few small spots where the grain reversed.

I saw no indication that the water based dye softened or removed the dried blotch controller to any degree. I can see a few places where the first die, the darker coffee brown dye, streaked slightly when I put on the cherry dye. I can see it, but to the untrained eye it’s just wood grain.

All in all, I am delighted. The project turned out just as I had hoped, and that would not have been the case without the Charles Neil pre-color conditioner. It saved my project. The next blanket chest sure as heck won’t be from Hard Maple. I learned my lesson. I made a bad wood decision and escaped an ugly outcome. Thank you Charles Neil.

And I’m sorry to hear that you had problems with your project. Just guessing that you didn’t let the blotch controller dry completely. Concerns about that was why I let it dry an extra day.

And nobody will ever know that this box was originally white.


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com