Reply by HokieKen

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Dull plane

View HokieKen's profile


10982 posts in 1652 days

#1 posted 04-04-2016 07:02 PM

I think it s called a bench plane. 10/12 inch long

- SweatyTeddy

Bench plane is a broad category that basically includes any plane that is meant to be used with 2 hands. Block planes are the other category and are generally used one-handed. Your plane is indeed a bench plane – a smoother, probably a Stanley #4-1/2 (or equivalent). The iron should be mounted bevel-down. A plane the size of yours is a “smoother” and most likely does have some camber on the cutting edge. I would follow the camber that’s there as long as it’s not too much. On a smoother, the camber is to prevent leaving track marks at the edges of the stroke. You can also sharpen it straight across and just “break” the corners (my personal preference).

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics