Reply by WIwoodworker

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Curly v. Tiger Maple

View WIwoodworker's profile


65 posts in 4059 days

#1 posted 09-12-2009 05:05 PM

Curly and Tiger Maple are used interchangeably to describe the same thing. Fiddleback maple does have origins in instrument making as the best wood for making that part of the fiddle is quartersawn curly material. I’m not sure though that the term is still necessarily used to describe that wood.

When I’m buying I assume all three terms mean the same thing. When I’m selling I will most often describe it as curly maple with medium or tight heavy curl. On occasion I will describe it as tiger maple but only when I know the client I’m selling to describes it that way. I have never described anything as fiddleback although if I had a very nice batch of quartersawn curly maple I’d be tempted.

-- Allen, Milwaukee, WI

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics