New TV enclosure for the RV

  • Advertise with us
Project by WhoMe posted 12-27-2013 05:48 AM 1866 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

Been working on some projects but not uploading them. So here is the first one.
The RV had a CRT in the back with no digital tuner so when we went out and had to use an antenna, we were out of luck with TV in the bedroom. So we purchased a new LCD and of course, it needed a new enclosure.

The first shot is the completed enclosure. All visible wood is of real honest-to-goodness Cherry. Because of the MH interior, unstained cherry does not match well at all and it needed a stain. SInce I had done another TV swap in the past and used the Minwax cherry stain with good results, this is what I used for this one. It was not as close of a match as the first try though. The finish was a rattle can semi gloss that at least matched the semi gloss of the interior woods. Unfortunately, you can see the difference in the real cherry versus the fake “cherry” of the original interior. For some reason, pictures seem to bring out more of a contrast than viewing with the eye.

The second picture is a shot of where the enclosure went. Unfortunately, I did not take a shot with the CRT but it was angled down towards the bed for a more proper viewing angle. After taking a angle measurement and ‘fudging’ a little higher above a direct angle, I settled for a 17 degree downward angle. Outside dimensions of the box left me with about 1/4” clearance to slide it in place.

Shot 3 shows the enclosure with the face frame not attached. The bottom of the face frame had to cover the original holes in the existing face frame that held the base for the original TV in place. Since I didn’t want plugs showing, I made the bottom part wider to cover the complete face frame and the holes.
The back is not cherry but 1/2” plywood to save costs and since you would not see the wood behind the TV, it was unnecessary to have real cherry back there, I painted it flat black to subdue any visible portions.
As it is, there was less than 1/8” on the sides and between 1/8 and 1/4 clearance top and bottom on the TV.
I made good use of my Kreg jig and pocket screws. Man I love those things. It makes projects like this go so much quicker.

But, we are now happy campers as we can get off the air digital TV as well as satellite TV in bed.
Thanks for looking.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, the wall gets in the way AAANNNDDD table saws BITE my fingers!!!.. - Mike -

1 comment so far

View BigRedKnothead's profile


8577 posts in 3194 days

#1 posted 12-27-2013 08:23 PM

“That there’s an R-V Clark” I couldn’t help it. Nice idea. I have made consoles for my vehicles and such. I can never find what I want….so i make it.

-- "At the end of the day, try and make it beautiful....because the world is full of ugly." Konrad Sauer

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics