CD case

  • Advertise with us
Project by BJODay posted 05-04-2013 02:08 AM 1855 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is my latest project. It is a CD cabinet. These pictures are of the dry fit. I will disassemble for final sanding and finishing.

I mimicked an Arts & Craft style. I used a Kreg pocket jig for most of the joinery. No screws are visible. The only ply is the back. This is the first project I have made with solid oak sides. It is also the first time I used a pattern to route the curved trim pieces. It was a good learning project. The next project I’ll try mortise and tenon joints.


6 comments so far

View Ton80's profile


7 posts in 3007 days

#1 posted 05-04-2013 02:16 AM

Very nice. I love the Kreg pocket hole system. So fast and easy..

-- struggling to make a living at what I love doing... thanks for making it so difficult Vampire State.

View Knothead62's profile


2600 posts in 4042 days

#2 posted 05-04-2013 07:02 PM

I was thinking I am needing a CD/DVD cabinet. Talk about timing! Did you design it yourself or use a plan? What finish?

View BJODay's profile


528 posts in 3023 days

#3 posted 05-04-2013 09:58 PM

I drew up a simple plan myself. I saw similar corbels and arches on an Arts & Crafts bookcase. I made the shelves 3/4” thick. In hindsight I could have made them 5/8 or 1/2. It’s only a 23” span and the CDs are not too heavy.

My wife and I like to use Minwax stains and I use the Minwax water based varnish. I know it kind of pedestrian compared to some of the finishes I’ve read about on this site. It has held up well for other projects but will not do well in direct sunlight or near water, (vanities or sink cabinets).


View dnick's profile


986 posts in 3463 days

#4 posted 05-05-2013 03:35 AM

That’s a nice piece. Well done.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

View workerinwood's profile


2717 posts in 4148 days

#5 posted 05-05-2013 02:08 PM

Great job!!

-- Jack, Albuquerque

View BJODay's profile


528 posts in 3023 days

#6 posted 08-29-2013 02:18 PM

Here is the finished media case.

I had originally made the shelves 3/4 oak. After looking at the dry fit I decided they should be thinner. I took them to My brother-in-laws and planed them to 1/2”. This caused some problems because they were already cut to length. I got some snipe on a few of the pieces but was not able to trim it off. I sanded out the snipe and softened it but did not eliminate it. (I will hide the snipe under the CDs).

I have now purchased my own planer and hope to tune it up to eliminate snipe.


Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics