Dutch Pull-out Table

  • Advertise with us
Project by AandCstyle posted 02-25-2013 10:08 PM 6296 views 7 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is called a Dutch pull-out table because the leaves slide out from each end of the table and I assume it was first designed by a guy named “Dutch”. Just kidding.

It is based on an article by Tage Frid in FWW issue #7 IIRC. When I was in the planning phase for this table, it was suggested that I take lots of pix and display the process here. I decided that I could not explain the process as well as Frid did, so you will need to be content with the finished project. However, I will be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

The dimensions are 36”wide by 51” long by 29” high. The table is 89” long with the leaves extended. My clients (aka my daughter & SIL) have 2 daughters and the 3 females are quite petite so that is why I didn’t make it 30” high. It doesn’t show well in the pix, but it is an A&C style. The table top slides up and down with 2 dowel pegs perpendicular to the top to keep the top in position when the leaves are extended and returned. The dowels go through the lower center piece that sits between the leaves when they are in the closed position. The top is not attached to the base and easily lifts off. Therefore, in order to avoid issues with wood expansion, the top, leaves and the lower center piece are all qswo plywood banded with solid oak. The bottom is solid qswo.

The leaves are on wooden slides that are attached to the leaves at a slight angle. There is a center support that is glued into dados in the side aprons. There are notches cut in the end aprons and the center support. As the leaves are pulled out, they move up to the level of the table top due to the angle of the slides. You need to lift the table top 3/4 inch to slide the leaves back into the table. Again, Frid explained it much better than I can.

I mixed Honey Amber TT dye in Target Coatings EM1000 for the base coat, then used Dark Mission Brown TT in water for 2 coats in an effort to make the rays in the oak as prominent as possible. One more coat of the EM1000, then 3 coats of EM6000 with cross linker added to maximize the durability of the finish.

I apologize for the confusing description. It is easier to make than to describe. Anyhow, this was a neat project to make.

-- Art

4 comments so far

View Alongiron's profile


654 posts in 3906 days

#1 posted 02-25-2013 10:24 PM


Once again you have did it! A Beautiful project after a lot of good thinking and asking other LJ’s for a little advice. I really like the proportions and the finish is perfect! Great Job!


-- Measure twice and cut once.....sneak up on it! Steve Lien

View Oldtool's profile


3309 posts in 3403 days

#2 posted 02-26-2013 01:42 PM

This is one fine build, really nice able.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View Grumpymike's profile


2497 posts in 3528 days

#3 posted 02-26-2013 03:36 PM

hi Art,
This is truely a beauty! The finish really makes the grain pop.
The proportions are spot on and just a pleasure to see.
I admit that I will have to see the article to see in my minds eye just how this works. :-)

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View a1Jim's profile


118200 posts in 4790 days

#4 posted 02-26-2013 05:29 PM

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics