Hardware Storage Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Project by woodbutcherbynight posted 11-28-2012 10:13 PM 3621 views 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Sometime this past summer I found a kitchen cabinet that someone had thrown out by a dumpster at work. Seeing it was made of some nice plywood and real wood, not that particle board imitation, I put it in the back of the truck and brought it home. Needing a cabinet to store the many nuts screws bolts and other various hardware we seem to collect over years of project work I decided to take it apart and make a new one to fit that need. Soon after, Bearpaw gave me left over pieces of ½ plywood from his project and then at work they threw away a nice display that had three casters. (it was a triangular display). The cabinet came with a nice 100lb drawn slide, who knows why. The construction was straightforward as all the drawers are the exact same size. I added braces to three drawers knowing full well that I would load them to max capacity with at least 40 – 50 lbs of “stuff” and used only 100 lb drawer slides for the same reason. For the drawer pulls I looked at various places for some larger ones that allowed me to get my hand into them without getting jambed, but found those to be a bit pricey. Using some aircraft seat brackets that someone gave me I cut them to size and used some mahogany Bearpaw gave me to make the holders themselves. This process sounds easy but took a great deal of time as they all had to be match, and have angles that were rather challenging to get to work without the loss of fingers.

My cost on this little wonder was $45 in drawer slides, $4 for a caster to match and $7 on a new can of polyurethane as I finally exhausted my own supply a total of $56 went into the project. Never mind the three weeks I spent sanding, staining, and finally 3 coats of poly on every surface. I added a piece on the back to hold my squares and one on the side to hold pencils and some push tools that are in convenient reach when I use my table saw. The top is removable and was from an old work desk at a job long ago. Being cheap I decided not to buy a piece of Formica special for the sides after I cut it down to fit, so I cheated and used cut off ends I peeled back with a heat gun. Having found part boxes I used them to decide the measurements for the drawers and managed to use all that I had found to include some old cashiers draw inserts. I imagine as I fill this in I will have to make some special boxes for those odd parts we all seem to have one or two off but cannot find something for them to fit into. Hopefully this will be sufficient for the time to satisfy my desire to have things not stuffed in boxes in a cabinet.

Not bad all in all for a project that is mostly stuff someone tossed or could not use.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

3 comments so far

View Bearpaw's profile


270 posts in 4693 days

#1 posted 11-28-2012 11:04 PM

Trash to treasure! Looks good and I am glad that you put my scraps to good use. Look forward to coming over to see it.

-- "When we build, let us think we build forever." John Ruskin

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

30585 posts in 3311 days

#2 posted 11-29-2012 01:03 AM

Nice salvage. Great unit.

-- Nature created it, I just assemble it.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile


7261 posts in 3382 days

#3 posted 11-29-2012 03:33 AM

Drop in Bearpaw I have a drawing for a built in 6 drawer filing cabinet I need you to take a look at for some suggestions. It is NOT in a work friendly place to get in and out of.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics