Pair of Heirloom Cradles

  • Advertise with us
Project by Will Stokes posted 03-11-2011 02:49 AM 4531 views 8 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

When we heard my wife’s first cousin was expecting a baby in January I thought it would be fun to try and build her and her husband a cradle. Since my wife and I were thinking (and are now expecting) a child of our own, I decided to build two cradles at once.

I decided to build a heirloom cradle I saw in Wood Magazine and more or less followed the plans with a few minor deviations: I attached the cleats that hold the rockers from the bottom instead of the top using glue and screws. I added contrasting walnut plugs to “hide” the screws entirely. I also applied a veneer to the bottom to give it more character and help contrast it with the sides. Finally I glued up the ends and sides from a series of smaller strips as I explored incorporating sap wood into the project to create some interesting patterns.

This was my first project working with curves and decided to go about it by making a series of templates and using the router. My first attempt was a complete disaster. I failed to first remove enough of the waste at the band saw and foolishly used a very small flush trim router bit. Fortunately, in case something would go wrong, I started by trying to make one of the rockers. Disaster struck as I went around the tip (and inevitably across the end grain) of one of the rockers. The bit dug in and threw a small chunk of wood across the shop. Fortunately I had not destroyed one of my glued up panels. It was clear I needed to revisit my technique and find a better way. I ultimately decided to:

-switch from my almost useless excuse for a band saw to my neighbors simple (but effective) bench-top model. This allowed me to remove much more of the waste, to within about 1/8” of my template line.

-I was given a spindle sander for Christmas which I then used to remove the remainder of the waste to within 1/16” of an inch.

-I then routed out the pattern top-side using a 1 1/8” flush trim router bit from Rocker. This time routing out the pattern was a breeze and I produced tissue-paper thin shavings.

Once pattern routing was behind me it was time to make the base. I ended up using an ancient piece of Douglas Fir I fished out of my parents basement and tried to take a stab at gluing down a veneer. This was when the second disaster struck. Not being used to working with veneers I applied too much glue which soaked through and then caused the veneer to buckle and ripple despite a caul being clamped across the entire surface. I ended up scraping the veneer off and trying again. This time, with less glue, things worked out better. For some reason I ran into buckling again when gluing down the last section of veneer on the second cradle, but at that point I already had a good piece glued down along side it. In a last ditch effect I used an iron and by lightly misting the surface and then warming it up with the iron was I able to slowly flatten the veneer back down.

You’d think after two brushes with disaster nothing else could go wrong, but when the cousins baby came early and me already being behind schedule, I guess I got anxious and tried to rush through the sanding process. I pushed down too hard on my ROS, resulting in beautiful swirl marks all over the wood. After the Marc Spagnolo corrected my technique I was able to go back and do the sanding all over again and get rid of all the swirl marks.

Many thanks to Dustin Ward , who gave me the veneer I used at a LumberJocks BBQ last summer. After applying the finish I think both cradles turned out fairly well, especially considering the road blocks I encountered along the process. I have a new found respect for building projects that can be taken apart while making the joinery as tight as possible. Hopefully both cradles get a fair bit of use and won’t have to be taken apart any time soon.

4 coats of Tried & True varnish oil, warmed to 120 F and rubbed on, excess wiped off after 45 minutes.

3 coats of semi-gloss poly thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits and wiped on, burnished with #0000 steel wool between coats.

5 comments so far

View MayflowerDescendant's profile


414 posts in 4029 days

#1 posted 03-11-2011 09:15 AM

Will … Congratulations and GREAT job! Beautiful wood, excellent fit and finish. Appreciate the detailed description. Enjoy your little bundle of joy that’s on the way. Thanks for sharing. Play / be safe.

-- Glen - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

View Dustin Ward (aka Tearen)'s profile

Dustin Ward (aka Tearen)

176 posts in 5193 days

#2 posted 03-11-2011 02:01 PM

Great job on the cradles Will! Great decision on adding the contrasting woods. Now all you need to do is make the matching changing table and toddler bed.

View lew's profile


13425 posts in 4998 days

#3 posted 03-11-2011 03:39 PM

Beautiful, Will!

The contrast between the lighter sides/ends and the pins/plugs/veneer really add the touch of class to these cradles.


-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View jusfine's profile


2422 posts in 4168 days

#4 posted 03-12-2011 06:36 PM

Nicely done! I like the veneer bottom too!

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."

View Pav's profile


7 posts in 4963 days

#5 posted 04-20-2011 04:57 PM


On another page you ask me about the wooden bolts on my version of this cradle. I did not like the bolt heads showing so I made wooden covers and used epoxy to attach them yo the bolts.


Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics