LumberJocks

Fire Damaged

  • Advertise with us
Project by oleCB posted 01-25-2011 03:26 AM 1483 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

Last winter a friend’s sister had had a fire and her contractor couldn’t finish the project. They contracted me to finish the work. All the trim had been removed and they wanted everything to look as close as possible to the oringal wood work. This was a 100 yr old house.

After I finished the door, window and base trim they asked if I would rebuild the mantel and book case over a non working fireplace, they couldn’t tell me what they wanted so I guessed and built this one. Then they asked me to build a new window seat into a bay window wall, it was over a heating vent so I had to get creative there too!

In the last picture you can see the extra wide door jamb. I wanted so bad to rebuild the pocket doors that were once there. Someone before had had central air installed and they used the extra thick wall there to run the vents to the upstairs. So we had to cover them again!

You can’t tell from the pics but the 2 windows over the bookshelves were not level from one to the other, I had to design the shelves and boxes along the fireplace so that the over one inch difference wouldn’t show.

I used the same rough sawn oak as I use now.

-- There was only one perfect carpenter... It wasn't me!





1 comment so far

View ~Julie~'s profile

~Julie~

623 posts in 4008 days


#1 posted 01-26-2011 04:45 PM

Great job, I bet they were very pleased to have everything done so nicely!

-- ~Julie~ followyourheartwoodworking.ca

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com