LumberJocks

Experiment in multi-axis turning

  • Advertise with us
Project by Oldtool posted 05-14-2021 01:07 AM 590 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I was asked to make a small occasional table, similar to one posted prior, as shown in the first photo, but with smaller dimensions to accommodate it’s permanent location.

Taking this opportunity to try something new, I decided to try my hand at off-set turning, also referred to as multi-axis turning. This then creates a Queen Anne pad foot type cabriole leg. Off to the lumber yard for some select cherry, 4 quarter and some 8 quarter.

I found very little web information concerning the “how to”, but what I found was pretty well explained & easy to follow. Some of the web instructions can be seen in photo 4, from two separate sources. Photos 5 and 6 show the locations of the second set of centers, used to create the taper that veers off to one side & creates the pad foot.

While doing this turning, I tried both sets of instructions – each on two legs, which differ in their determination of the off-set, and due to this I created two sizes of pad feet, which can be seen here:

Note the two on the left match as do the two on the right, with the right being slightly larger. In as much as I had already turned two practice legs, one in cherry & one in pine, I decided not to waste these and put the matching pairs such the two that match are in front & the other set is against the wall. Nobody knows the difference.

Last note to anyone wishing to try this, note the bottom off-set in photo 6 and how close it is to the side of the bottom pad. One set of instructions stated that prior turning this little pad (with the true centers) you may want to wait until the off-set turning is complete, so as to avoid the possibility of this second breaking out. I had this happen – the tail stock broke out of it’s setting, but stayed anchored sufficiently that I continued to turn until I noticed I was creating a leg with a “S” shape. Wasted some cherry wood on this.

The finish includes H. Behlens (now owned my Mohawk) Cherry dye, and General Finishes water based top coat.

Thanks for viewing, any questions – just ask.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln





6 comments so far

View Dave Polaschek's profile

Dave Polaschek

7687 posts in 1701 days


#1 posted 05-14-2021 02:40 AM

Looks like a successful experiment, in that you learned something. Nice work!

I hadn’t thought about how these legs and feet were done, but now that you’ve shown it, I bet I could get a set of four without having to use more than six or eight blanks to experiment on. ;-)

-- Dave - Santa Fe

View oldrivers's profile

oldrivers

2590 posts in 2685 days


#2 posted 05-14-2021 03:03 AM

Great job you did there.

-- Soli Deo gloria!

View recycle1943's profile

recycle1943

5485 posts in 2741 days


#3 posted 05-14-2021 09:45 AM

great result for a first time effort.

-- Dick, Malvern Ohio - my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells my toys for what I told her I paid for them

View gdaveg's profile

gdaveg

202 posts in 321 days


#4 posted 05-14-2021 01:38 PM

Nice job. Interesting how that is done.

-- Dave, Vancouver, WA & Tucson, AZ

View therealSteveN's profile

therealSteveN

8009 posts in 1693 days


#5 posted 05-14-2021 04:07 PM

Love those legs, nice job. The table to fit is quite nice.

-- Think safe, be safe

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

3499 posts in 3068 days


#6 posted 05-14-2021 09:06 PM

Good job there, I think Norm did a show on that.

-- Petey

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com