LumberJocks

Bookcase for credenza

  • Advertise with us
Project by PlanBWoodworks posted 12-12-2020 01:03 AM 507 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This bookcase was designed to sit on top of the credenza that I posted as my last project. I wanted the bookcase + credenza to finish at a height of 80”, and to be set in from the credenza top 3” on both sides and the front. The top on the credenza is 14” deep and 67” wide. The bookcase is 11” deep and 61” wide. The credenza is 31” tall. The bookcase is 49” tall.

Constructed with mortise and tenon and frame and panel joinery, the bookcase contains several elements of both the credenza and the desk that i posted recently. I was initially shooting for 2”x2” legs (as used on the previously mentioned projects), but due to wood movement, I ended up milling down to 1 3/4”x1 3/4”. While this change is noticeable to me, to a non-woodworker, I don’t think it is noticeable.

The panels were milled to 5/8” to allow for them to be flush with the interior of the case, but sit back 1/4” from the exterior. All dados to accept the panels were cut using a Freud box joint blade set and were 3/8” wide. The mortises were marked out, cut on the appropriate pieces by hogging out the majority of the waste with a Forstner bit at my drill press and routed using a 1/2” spiral upcut bit in my Triton 3 1/2 HP router. I cut the tenons at the table saw using the Freud set mentioned above, and I rounded the tenons with a rasp.

Everything is constructed from 2×12 SYP, coves routed on exterior corners of the legs, 1/8” roundover on all sharp edges, sanded to 220 and stained with Minwax Red Oak. I then applied 3 coats of Minwax Satin Poly thinned 50% with mineral spirits, sanding lightly with 0000 steel wool between coats.

I used shelf pins for the 6 shelves, and I made a simple jig from MDF to ensure that all holes were spaced appropriately. Unfortunately, during glue up, I reversed the panels and the top shelves are closer to the top stretchers(?) than I intended. It is a small error, but it still bothers me.

I attached the bookcase by drilling through the credenza top and screwing into the legs. All in all, I am pleased with the way the project turned out, and only have a couple more pieces to build before finishing my home office renovation.

I have several pictures that I am going to add for additional detail.









Thanks for looking!

-- Why can’t I ever find my pencil???





4 comments so far

View oldrivers's profile

oldrivers

2472 posts in 2582 days


#1 posted 12-12-2020 03:35 AM

My that is a Dandy build, great documentation, I noticed the arc on the book case is about the same as the door panel arc very neat work looks great.

-- Soli Deo gloria!

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

7751 posts in 3220 days


#2 posted 12-12-2020 06:37 AM

Nice work, well presented and displayed.
Now that blower is worth investigating further.

BTW I am looking forward to seeing a plan A project if the Bookcase for Credenza is any example!!!

and…nice to see a Stephen King fan too!!

Goodonyamate!

-- Regards Rob

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

3169 posts in 3206 days


#3 posted 12-12-2020 08:44 PM

Very nice, great work on this.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View swirt's profile

swirt

6042 posts in 3988 days


#4 posted 12-13-2020 03:38 AM

Very impressive. Thanks for all the build photos too. Well done.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com