LumberJocks

Making an adaptor to change a felt bag dust collector to use a cartridge

  • Advertise with us
Project by Don Johnson posted 09-23-2020 12:17 AM 1046 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

As a result of envying Keith Brown’s new dust collector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC7_fgojpy4&t=0s because it has a cartridge – which besides collecting even smaller dust particles also has internal paddles for shaking off the accumulated dust (I have to whack my felt bag with a stick whilst wearing breathing apparatus) – I searched once more for a cartridge to fit my Scheppach HD12, but again could not find one that was the right size. I wondered if it would be feasible to make an adaptor ring for a larger cartridge, but it seemed that it might be an expensive experiment if it did not work. However, during my cartridge searches I stumbled across and article by Stephen Finch – http://www.stephenfinch.co.uk/workshop-blog/2020/6/27/upgrading-an-axminster-ade1200-with-a-cartridge-filter – which covered exactly what I envisaged, for a DC which has an even smaller bag. I sent my thanks to Stephen, and ordered the Charnwood CF159 cartridge.

As usual, I forgot to take photo’s during construction, but there are plenty in Stephen’s article. I glued up a sandwich of some odd 19mm MDF and plywood boards, with a thinner sheet of plywood in the middle to thicken up the result slightly, and laid out the circles for my machine (300 mm) and the internal diameter of the cartridge (370mm). I thought of using a router jig set up, but ended up machining carefully on my bandsaw – cutting through at an angle to get to the inner diameter as with bandsaw boxes. Just as well I took that route as I had to enlarge the 300mm hole to get the ring to fit, so there would have been no centre location hole available for a recut with a router jig. The picture shown above displays the left-over pieces – the ring itself being hidden inside the finished machine because I didn’t want to disassemble it for photo’s.

It was necessary to cut notches in the ring to accommodate the ends of the cross plate in which the paddle axle rotates, and I found that an oscillating multi tool provided the simplest and most effective solution to this sort of cutting. I also sprayed the ring all over with sanding sealer just in case this would help.

When I first tested the fitted cartridge, as expected a little air and dust blew out at the bottom of the assembly, because my amended inner 300mm hole did not fit tightly to the lip where the felt bag was previously attached. This was easily corrected by the application of some mastic sealant to fill the gaps, which, even before it was allowed to harden, remained stable throughout testing. The external circle had not needed adjustment and fitted in the rubber outer sleeve well, so was completely sealed by the supplied spring-loaded retaining band.

Although I am delighted with the result, I do not apologise for plagarising Stephen’s article as I think it deserves the wider audience that Lumberjocks might bring as there may be others who would like to do make a similar adaptor to improve their own dust collector.

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk





5 comments so far

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

5797 posts in 1704 days


#1 posted 09-23-2020 03:26 AM

Cool post… I did similar on a dual bagger… you’d think vendors would sell generic adaptors/conversion kits.

This is a great after thought and a worthy conversion, however, for newbies, I do recommend purchasing dusties pre-fitted with cartridge(s)... saves a lot of hassles.

-- If your first cut is too short... Take the second cut from the longer end... LBD

View crowie's profile

crowie

3971 posts in 2834 days


#2 posted 09-23-2020 03:40 AM

Top marks for a very worthwhile upgrade.

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

View therealSteveN's profile

therealSteveN

6454 posts in 1457 days


#3 posted 09-23-2020 12:36 PM



you d think vendors would sell generic adaptors/conversion kits.

- LittleBlackDuck

Exactly Duck, especially if you consider about every third owner does just that, and usually it’s a painful journey. Beyond that, what is up with these plastics people? You’ve never seen so many variants of 4 inches, as in a 4” PVC pipe. Don’t get me started on 2” and 2.5” on the shop vacs.

You would think no one actually wants us to clean up the dust. When you do find a place that wants to offer sizes that actually match, you have to mortgage the house.

Don Johnson, good on you for making it work. I’m in the process of doing the same, and it is a painful, expensive, journey. I’m coming from 6” going to a lot of machines that inherently just speak 4” and yes I do have a co-mingling of the 2 to 2.5” crap as well. It’s enough to get you talking to yerself…

-- Think safe, be safe

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

2330 posts in 2833 days


#4 posted 09-23-2020 07:14 PM

Agree, I would buy a “conversion kit” for my Delta 1.5 hp system. Or maybe look into replacing mine, but I don’t have room for a larger foot print.

-- Petey

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

26674 posts in 4734 days


#5 posted 09-27-2020 12:10 AM

Nice job and congratulations on your ‘Daily Top 3’ award.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com