LumberJocks

Quick and easy mallet

  • Advertise with us
Project by Doug posted 05-02-2020 02:22 PM 1027 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

You’ve probably seen versions of this mallet all over the internet. I added mine to them.

If you are a subscriber of the WoodSmith magazine then you may be familiar with this mallet. It was featured in an article in one of their issues a long time ago.

Pic 1: Glamour shot 1
Pic 2: Materials needed for the build – 3/4” plumbing T and some type of hardwood
Pic 3: Mallet assembled, ready for refinement
Pic 4: Glamour shot 2
Pic 5: Getting ready to cut the tenon cheeks in the handle
Pic 6: Mallet head assembly

As you can tell, from Picture 2, it doesn’t take much to build it. For the mallet heads and handle I bought a post-hole digger handle that was on sale for $7.00. It was cheaper to buy the handle than it would have been to buy a piece of oak of the same size. The handle material is quite hard and will work out fine. I still have enough left over to make more heads and even another whole mallet if I want. The plumbing T was $4.95. So, for a few bucks and a few hours, I was able to make a mallet that fit my needs perfectly.

I made a video of the build if you care to watch how I did it.

You see, because of the “lock-down” I have been staying in a place away from my tools. I have a few bare necessity tools (handsaws, a few chisels, block plane, jack plane, electric drill, hammer) but I didn’t have a mallet.

As most of you do, I use a mallet, instead of a hammer, for bench work and for setting my plane irons. The thought of using a carpenter’s hammer on my chisels and planes make me cringe.

As you will see in the video, if you care to watch it, I have been using a stretcher from an old chair as a mallet. I’m not sure what kind of material it was but it was sufficiently hard enough to be used as a mallet. I had to do something different though. Thus the mallet.

Things went pretty smooth for the most part. I did end up making the tenon on the handle a bit to small which resulted in a loose fit but I used some electrician’s tape to make up for it. I’d thought about using polyurethane construction adhesive because of its expansion properties but didn’t want to buy a whole tube for such a small amount.

Well, that’s about it for this post.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to post them either here or in the comments section on YouTube.

Take care.

-- Doug





3 comments so far

View JCamp's profile

JCamp

1429 posts in 1799 days


#1 posted 05-02-2020 07:20 PM

Looks like a nice project. I may have missed it but did u epoxy the wood into the treads?

-- Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might

View Woodstock's profile

Woodstock

266 posts in 4537 days


#2 posted 05-03-2020 01:09 AM

I always thought these were a pipe dream.

Guess not.

Nicely done. I’ll add it to my quickly diminishing “to-do/I gotta make one of those someday” list to keep me out of (or for getting into) trouble.

-- I'm not old. Just "well seasoned".

View PPK's profile

PPK

1872 posts in 2058 days


#3 posted 05-04-2020 01:32 PM

I have had the pipe fitting sitting there ready to make one of these for a couple years now…
Nice build!

-- Pete

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com