LumberJocks

Herringbone Pen

  • Advertise with us
Project by MJR posted 01-23-2020 10:11 AM 769 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I made this herringbone pen blank with Walnut, Maple, Cherry and Mahogany.





8 comments so far

View recycle1943's profile

recycle1943

5376 posts in 2700 days


#1 posted 01-23-2020 10:41 AM

oh my gosh – what a glue up nightmare. It looks like it was only a dream for you tho. Beautiful pen Michael !!

-- Dick, Malvern Ohio - my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells my toys for what I told her I paid for them

View pottz's profile

pottz

16779 posts in 2062 days


#2 posted 01-23-2020 04:37 PM

very nice herringbone pen and a lot of work.great job.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

7076 posts in 1898 days


#3 posted 01-23-2020 10:40 PM

Phew… broke out in a sweat just thinking of the effort involved… Nice job.

At least it doesn’t look like a cheap slimline... what “model” is the kit?...

Such an effort would be more worthy of a fountain Emperor (or similar top end)!

-- If your first cut is too short... Take the second cut from the longer end... LBD

View Tom Regnier's profile

Tom Regnier

509 posts in 3625 days


#4 posted 01-24-2020 12:36 AM

That’s a pretty cool looking pen

View MJR's profile

MJR

379 posts in 1492 days


#5 posted 01-24-2020 12:44 AM

It really didn’t take long, I cut strips from scrap, Taped them together and chopped them into rectangles. Then I pinned a couple sticks in a 90° angle, Glued and pushed them into the corner. When it dried I squared it up and turned it.


oh my gosh – what a glue up nightmare. It looks like it was only a dream for you tho. Beautiful pen Michael !!

- recycle1943


View MJR's profile

MJR

379 posts in 1492 days


#6 posted 01-24-2020 12:47 AM

It really didn’t take long, I cut strips from scrap, Taped them together and chopped them into rectangles. Then I pinned a couple sticks in a 90° angle, Glued and pushed them into the corner. When it dried I squared it up and turned it. It’s a PSI kit called the Concava, Hence the shape of the upper barrel. I think theyre 7 or 8 dollars, This was an experiment so I didn’t go for an expensive kit.


Phew… broke out in a sweat just thinking of the effort involved… Nice job.

At least it doesn t look like a cheap slimline... what “model” is the kit?...

Such an effort would be more worthy of a fountain Emperor (or similar top end)!

- LittleBlackDuck


View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

9147 posts in 3487 days


#7 posted 01-24-2020 06:15 AM

VERY COOL!!! Nice work.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View Ivan's profile

Ivan

16786 posts in 3945 days


#8 posted 01-24-2020 04:34 PM

Incredible pattern!

-- Ivan, Croatia, Wooddicted

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com