LumberJocks

Sand blasting cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Project by Hoffmanuno posted 12-10-2019 04:35 PM 476 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I needed a sandblasting cabinet to clean up the parts on three snowmobiles I am restoring. I’ve also wanted one over the years because doing it outside gets messy and I lose all the last media. I researched different designs on the Internet and came up with my own general design. The frame is made of two by threes to save a little weight. I notched the joints a bit and recessed the edges For the 7/16” chipboard I used for the walls. I used some cut down scrap wood from pallets as well as scavenged hinges and locks To build it. I used PVC pipe for the vents and a heat gun to flange out the ends inside before adding wooden baffles. Everything is sealed up with whatever leftover caulk I had laying around. I primed it and then used a mixture of three leftover paints together that left it looking what I call industrial tan”. Lol. I’ve tested it out and it is airtight to the point that it sucks the gloves in and if you put your hand over the air intake the walls start to bow in. Works great for sandblasting In the garage and leaves no dust. The cabinet dimensions are roughly 52 inches long by 48 inches high by 33 inches deep. With the legs included it is 86 1/2 inches tall on casters. I made it this big so I can fit a 4 foot long by 3 foot wide piece of metal in there easily on its side and have a good angle and light to sandblasted. I put a bucket with a screen on it below the PVC drain on the bottom and just remove a cap quickly to dump the sand back into the bucket when I’m done.





3 comments so far

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

1559 posts in 2242 days


#1 posted 12-10-2019 11:40 PM

Man, that ought to do the job nicely.
I would be interested in seeing the restoration project as well.

-- A bad day woodworking is still better than a good day working.

View ohwoodeye's profile

ohwoodeye

2290 posts in 3759 days


#2 posted 12-11-2019 01:51 PM

Very nice build. I’m sure you will enjoy using it during your restoration process.
The best part is how you mention using “whatever leftover caulk you had lying around”. I have about 15 partially used tubes of caulk just waiting for a project like this.
Well Done!!!

-- "Fine Woodworking" is the name given to a project that takes 3 times longer than normal to finish because you used hand tools instead of power tools. ----Mike, Waukesha, WI

View Hoffmanuno's profile

Hoffmanuno

10 posts in 1727 days


#3 posted 12-11-2019 05:01 PM

I used some leftover construction adhesive for the collection area joints below to add some strength. I was worried about the weight of sand over time and perhaps if a large heavy metal object dropped down into the collection area it could crack it or even break it open. That’s why I went a little overboard on that area in the pictures with the braces along the seams as well. The key to good airflow is just getting every joint caulked and sealed up. After I thought I got it sealed up well I turned the light on inside with the lights off in the garage and tracked down a few places I missed by looking for the light shining through. For the drain I basically just drilled a hole through the bottom and then stuck a 4 inch to 2 inch PVC pipe reducer in it. Then I cut a small piece of the chipboard to fit flush with the top of it and pin nailed it in place before using spray foam to fill the void area and hold it in place. Then I used a rubber window caulk around those seems to keep it sealed up good and prevent sand from getting through it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com