LumberJocks

Dressers & Nightstands

  • Advertise with us
Project by Juggler posted 11-30-2019 08:00 PM 704 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Made two dressers and matching nightstands for our bedroom. Wooden slides with Teflon tape allows smooth drawer movement. Floating tenons are used for the leg assemblies. Simple locking rabbets/groves were used for the drawer boxes for speed. Arched brackets, cove molded and bull-nose molding used as well. Special bead molding wrapped around each door and drawer makes for a nice shadow line to hide any minor gaps.

The top of one of them warped. I cut it down and glued it back up but still had significant warping. I placed a wet rag on the concave side until it equalized and finished it and screwed it down using the figure 8 brackets. After several months it seems to have retained the flat shape. I used a water based die on the parts. The down side of die is two-fold. First, it raises the grain of the wood regardless of how finely it was sanded. The other problem is if a water based finish is then applied, it can cause the die to run. To combat these problems, I wet the surfaces after 320 sanding and then sanded again after drying. This prevents 90% of grain roughening after the die. Also, a little steel wool will also ease any residual grain after applying the die. For the finish, I apply a couple of coats of shellac with a sprayer or brush to seal the die from any further finish. Then, the final coats are applied using water based lacquer from the sprayer

-- DJB





5 comments so far

View pottz's profile

pottz

16163 posts in 2037 days


#1 posted 11-30-2019 09:40 PM

beautiful cabinet juggler,finish looks fanatastic really makes the wood glow with nice hardware to march.great job.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View jbmaine's profile

jbmaine

159 posts in 523 days


#2 posted 11-30-2019 09:53 PM

That looks stunning! I use alot of water base dye, and tried many ways to keep from raising the grain, with out a lot of luck. Finally I said , the halibut , and just applied a couple coats of varnish over the raised grain. After I sanded those back and applied more varnish, it was as smooth as I could have wanted.

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

8704 posts in 3319 days


#3 posted 12-01-2019 12:58 AM

I love the design of both pieces. Especially armoire top on the dresser.

View Juggler's profile

Juggler

26 posts in 1738 days


#4 posted 12-01-2019 09:08 PM


I use a lot of water base dye, and tried many ways to keep from raising the grain, with out a lot of luck. Finally I said , the halibut , and just applied a couple coats of varnish over the raised grain. After I sanded those back and applied more varnish, it was as smooth as I could have wanted.

- jbmaine

Thanks! I noticed that once I do the “wetting and re-sanding”, it is much better. But, then when I apply the shellac, I light sand between coats to get that smooth finish I want but it still shows off grain in the reflection, unlike a heavy poly. After the shellac, I moved to fine wool.

-- DJB

View Gittyup's profile

Gittyup

215 posts in 3010 days


#5 posted 12-08-2019 02:19 AM

real nice pieces.

-- tel

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com