LumberJocks

Recipe Stands

  • Advertise with us
Project by JD77 posted 11-21-2019 03:40 PM 280 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I batched up a set of six recipe stands to match the cutting boards I gave as Christmas presents last year. They started as a glue-up of maple and walnut with some sapwood. As with the cutting boards, I alternated the walnut boards in the glue-up to maximize the contrast between adjacent boards. I then glued on the bottom ledge and lip, then crosscut to size. I put a 1/2” roundover on the back and bottom, and a 1/4” roundover on the front. A sliding dovetail allows the stand to slide in or out for storage. A cutout was added to the front lip to allow iPads to be used with a hole added to the shelf for charging cables. Finished with clear shellac.





4 comments so far

View stripit's profile

stripit

55 posts in 2605 days


#1 posted 11-21-2019 04:16 PM

Very nice, I realy like the dove tail slide.
Joel

-- Joel, People ask what I make. I tell them I make sawdust, and now and then a nice box or frame,or clock, or lamp pops out.

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

6235 posts in 2828 days


#2 posted 11-21-2019 07:52 PM

An attractive and very usable project!
Wherever they go—someone will appreciate having them.

-- Wood rescue is good for the environment and me! just rjR

View SFNewbie's profile

SFNewbie

17 posts in 574 days


#3 posted 11-22-2019 02:41 AM

Nice idea…seems simple to make too (except for the sliding dovetails, those are fancy).

Did you make the cutouts using a spindle sander ?

View JD77's profile

JD77

30 posts in 251 days


#4 posted 11-22-2019 01:04 PM

Thanks, guys,
They were super simple, one step up from the original cutting boards.

Those dovetails were easier than they sound if you have a router table and a dovetail bit. Just a piece or two of masking tape on each edge of the panel was enough to give it the taper it needed. A little hand-sanding left them just a little loose so that any finish that got in them didn’t bind them up. They don’t fall out, but they also don’t need a mallet to remove. Nothing fancy there.

The cut-out on the front was a late addition. I made up a quickie jig to hold everything in alignment with a Forstner bit on the drill press since I was batching them out. A spindle sander would have worked just as well but I didn’t think of it since I was already drilling the hole on the bottom for the charger cable.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com