4H - Lego "Mini"-fig

  • Advertise with us
Project by greybucket posted 07-26-2019 11:05 PM 1442 views 4 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Last fall, I made several of these guys last fall using the plans posted by Jackman Works (and even one with yarn hair for my daughter who wanted one that looked like a girl). For 4H this year, my stepson wanted to make one so make one we did. He isn’t one to come out to my shop and doesn’t normally get the itch to make something. I am very proud of the work that he put into it… he took direction very well, was patient with my instruction and didn’t try rushing through it just to get it done. I wasn’t so much worried about his ability to learn to use the tools as I was know how much sanding that he was going to need to do but he didn’t complain.

We used maple/walnut, rare earth magnets in all the joints, and finished it with a mix of boiled linseed oil/polyurethane/mineral spirits. He took first place, received Grand Champion, and it’s going to state.

5 comments so far

View htl's profile


5357 posts in 2167 days

#1 posted 07-27-2019 12:08 AM

Nice job and a cool project!!!

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs

View robertjacob's profile


62 posts in 1277 days

#2 posted 07-27-2019 04:01 PM

wow good work, can you share the dimension ? it will be helpful

-- Woodworking is skill >>

View ClaudeF's profile


1228 posts in 2715 days

#3 posted 07-27-2019 06:39 PM

Excellent work and well deserving of the Grand Champion award!



View greybucket's profile


4 posts in 583 days

#4 posted 07-30-2019 01:07 PM

wow good work, can you share the dimension ? it will be helpful

The plans for this are for free from Jackman Works (link) and are very simply to follow.

The overall height is approximately 15 1/4” and the overall width depends on how differently you do the hands/arms. Everything from the plans were pretty close to the overall look of a Lego minifig, but we did slightly change the design on the arms a bit to to able to simply use a 5/8” roundover bit to make the forearms perfectly round and tapered the upper arms/shoulders to make them look closer to the original. I found that once we rough cut the overall shape of both legs and arms on the bandsaw, we could stick them together with carpet tape and both pieces could be easily shaped/sanded as one and be identical when separated instead of trying to do the separately. We were also able to make the thickness of the hands a bit thinner since we were using maple instead of soft 2×4’s that would be more brittle.

We did have access to my father’s lathe to turn the head and the dowels needed for the joints but I thought it would be a good opportunity to show my stepson another way to make the pieces needed by thinking outside the box and by using tools we were more familiar with. I think those pieces might’ve looked cleaner but, in the end, I don’t feel the lines on the head/joint pieces detract from the overall look.

View frankie voyles's profile

frankie voyles

127 posts in 1865 days

#5 posted 08-08-2019 01:46 PM


-- frankie v

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics