LumberJocks

Wine Rack Bookcase

  • Advertise with us
Project by Ardubya posted 03-30-2019 01:54 PM 695 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Hey folks – been a while since I’ve been on Lumberjocks. Thought I’d post my most recent project, commissioned by a friend.

Wine rack bookcase made from red oak, stained with General Finishes Java gel stain, and finished with three coats of polyurethane.

The measurements on the waffle just about drove me crazy. I’m going to upload my SketchUp model to the 3D Warehouse if anyone is interested.

This was a challenging but fun build.





6 comments so far

View recycle1943's profile

recycle1943

3470 posts in 2189 days


#1 posted 03-30-2019 02:22 PM

That’s a nice cabinet – it appears plain and simple but we know better

-- Dick, Malvern Ohio - my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells my toys for what I told her I paid for them

View Mikhail2400's profile

Mikhail2400

9 posts in 259 days


#2 posted 03-30-2019 03:29 PM

Beautiful! You do very nice work.

View AJ1104's profile

AJ1104

880 posts in 2226 days


#3 posted 03-31-2019 01:13 AM

Beautiful cabinet. Very nice build and finish.

-- AJ

View go4tech's profile

go4tech

29 posts in 1592 days


#4 posted 03-31-2019 02:46 AM

Outstanding results!

The interweave of the waffle section is most worthy. Would believe to be hand cut.

Did you mortised and tenoned them? Even then a manual process is envisioned.

Would like to know how was done.

Nice work!

Best regards,
JK

View Ardubya's profile

Ardubya

65 posts in 1711 days


#5 posted 03-31-2019 02:46 PM

go4tech – The waffle was achieved, after much research, agonizing and hand-wringing, using a dado stack on the table saw. I knew I would be unable to freehand perfect interlocking slots, and I could find no jig that seemed perfect for the job. Ultimately I made a table saw sled for this single application. Of course, stopping the dado slot half way through the shelf would leave a curved end in the cut, but the curves are hidden when the shelves come together.

The challenge, then, was getting the cuts spaced perfectly so that the shelves would interlock and be square. So, rather than cut the shelves to length then cut the slots, I cut the shelves long on each end, cut all the slots, dry fit the waffle and set it on the carcasse (laying flat), at perfect 45 degrees, then used the carcasse to mark the cuts on the end of each shelf to ensure a snug fit. Not sure that makes sense – difficult to describe.

This was not measure twice cut once. This was like measure a few times, put it away, think about it, sleep, measure a few more times, dry fit a few times, try the measurements in SketchUp…. repeat, repeat, THEN just say to heck with it, I need to get this thing done.

View swirt's profile

swirt

4410 posts in 3539 days


#6 posted 04-01-2019 01:48 AM

Very nice looking wine rack.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com