LumberJocks

Small modern-ish nightstand

  • Advertise with us
Project by atao posted 02-11-2019 05:41 PM 326 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

One of my first furniture builds. I had actually intended on this being a practice piece, and so if i ran into some issues, i tried not to worry about it very much. You can see that the trim doesn’t really match the body, for example. But i’m happy enough with it and i might just try to have that mindset for future builds. It’ll probably go into the spare bedroom.

It’s 3/4” purebond plywood with mitered glue-only joints. The shelf is dado’d in with a top-bearing router bit (I thought this worked really well). The legs are 1×2’s maple (i think) glued together then trimmed. The trim is maple hardwood. The box is roughly 16w x 14h x 16d.

Some challenges I had with this build (maybe useful for other beginners):
1. As a beginner, I found that it takes some technique to rip thin trim strips. I ended up using my micro-jig ripper but found that getting enough grip to push 3/4” maple through was a little challenging. Also ripping 16” strips on a small jobsite saw was challenging. In the future i’ll probably either try using my track saw, which seems a lot safer to me or i’ll get a thin ripping jig.
2. Ripping slivers of material off the glued legs on the saw made me wish for a zero clearance for the table saw as well because the little slivers would sometimes get wedged in the gap between blade and table top.
3. I put the trim on after assembling, and after doing so wished that i’d attached it before so.
4. Cutting thin trim on the miter saw is dangerous unless you have a zero-clearance slot (which i improvised with a piece of wood underneath the piece being cut).
5. I found that I was not sure of the best way to attach legs + skirt to top. I ended up pocket screws for skirt to top AND dominos for the legs to top. Lining up the dominos was challenging, a lot of measuring especially because i had to bounce between metric and imperial. I’m sure i didn’t go about it in a very efficient way.
6. Applying polyurethane to the interior was rather challenging because the gaps are only about 6”. Perhaps i should have applied before assembling?

Some other observations:
  • I don’t have a ton of Festool, but i do have a Festool (ETS 125) sander, and i am SOO happy i got this thing. Dust control, lack of vibration, just a pleasure to use.
  • I really like the Makita track saw. Just used it a few times so far, but seems really solid.
  • I need to get a quieter shop vac and quieter compressor

Andrew





3 comments so far

View BlueRidgeDog's profile

BlueRidgeDog

170 posts in 50 days


#1 posted 02-11-2019 09:12 PM

Well done. Good start. I would put a hole in the top for the cords or a clip in the back to hold them. I would also make a drawer for the top but leave the bottom open for magazines etc.

View atao's profile

atao

2 posts in 55 days


#2 posted 02-11-2019 09:52 PM

Thanks BRDog! Was thinking along the same lines for the cords.

View observer100's profile

observer100

421 posts in 1381 days


#3 posted 02-12-2019 03:23 PM

An interesting read.
I like to see projects but I also like to read about the challenges involved in making them, what will change next time, and lessons learned.
Thanks for the information.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com