LumberJocks

Live Edge Walnut Waterfall Dining Bench

  • Advertise with us
Project by kryptix posted 01-30-2019 02:47 PM 622 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I needed a dining bench and someone posted a 5 board bench contest on Reddit. This is my reinterpretation of one because I needed a foot rest for the counter height dining table for it to be comfortable so I dropped the aprons down to be a foot rest. Thanks to the contest for finally giving me the motivation to get this done.

As an aside, I made one big mistake in that I pulled the waterfall miter open when I tried to pull it square with clamps which means I had to fill the gap so the waterfall isn’t perfect.

After I finished it a crack developed on the end of the seat, but I think its ok because the leg will hold it from cracking more, so I’m not too worried.

I had a piece of live edge walnut from a tree that came down locally during hurricane sandy. Cleaned up the bark with a draw knife and sander, trimmed a little bit off so that it would fit through my planer (13 inch planer, about 15 inches wide total due to the curve). Had to turn it as it went through the planer since the entire piece is about 13 inches wide, also had some cleanup on the edges where it was wider than the cutters. Cut the waterfall with my track saw (Festool TS 75), dominoed the waterfall joint for reinforcement. This was mostly to save time since that made the first part all doable in 1 day.

Glued up a blank about 12 inches wide for a leg with 8/4 butternut and cutoffs from eucalyptus, maple, and walnut. Dadoed the blank then cut mortises in the walnut for the “aprons”. This was a real pain in the butt to lay out since there weren’t many square references I could use. Drill press to hog out the bulk of the waste then a lot of chiseling… Cut an angled relief and half circle out of the leg after joinery was done, also beveled the edges of the leg to make it less heavy looking, all on the table saw. Shaped the aprons on the band saw and disc sander. During the final glueup I managed to break the waterfall (but its structurally sound due to the dominos) by using clamps to pull it square… Rough sanded before glueup, and put it to use over the holidays. Finish prep with card scraper and sander before finishing with 8 coats of pure tung oil. I was pleasantly surprised that the walnut had some curl.





5 comments so far

View bigpops0259's profile

bigpops0259

320 posts in 4477 days


#1 posted 01-30-2019 03:32 PM

Nice work. Like your design

-- Marty Ohio

View kryptix's profile

kryptix

103 posts in 918 days


#2 posted 01-30-2019 04:31 PM



Nice work. Like your design

- bigpops0259

Thanks! I’m pretty happy with it and its quite practical and useful on a daily basis.

View WirelessWoodworker's profile

WirelessWoodworker

72 posts in 1584 days


#3 posted 01-30-2019 07:43 PM

Really nice – I like how you leave the sap wood in. That contrast in walnut always looks great in my mind.

-- Tim, Delaware, http://www.thewirelesswoodworker.com and YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/c/TheWirelessWoodworker

View kryptix's profile

kryptix

103 posts in 918 days


#4 posted 01-30-2019 07:45 PM



Really nice – I like how you leave the sap wood in. That contrast in walnut always looks great in my mind.

- WirelessWoodworker

In this piece I really liked how the sap wood blends into the maple foot rails and the butternut ties it together being somewhat halfway in between.

View swirt's profile

swirt

3788 posts in 3299 days


#5 posted 01-31-2019 03:27 AM

Nice looking wood and a unique design.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com